VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Szpak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

When I play SIlent Hunter (this for example) under Windows (XP) I can set Cpu Cycles to 11000 and game run quite smothly. Last time I ran this game under Linux (Fedora Core 2 with NVidia binary drivers) and the best I can reach is something about 6000 CC (with higher value I feel (through sound and system tools) that my CPU (Athlon 1800+ is too slow)).
It's very big difference. I read at forum that some people ave beeter performance under Linux. I have almost the same config here and here. The visible difference is that in Windows I feel that in full screen mode I can more overclock CPU (than in windowed mode). Under Linux it seems to be without difference.

Thanks for suggestions
Marcin

Reply 1 of 3, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Are you using the same CPU core emulation? Dynamic core allows for 2-3 times as many cycles as Normal.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 3, by Szpak

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for reply.

I changed core to dynamic under windows and I can reach over 20K CC (depends on what is actually going on in the game). Unfortunately under Linux there is no difference (for me) between normal and dynamic core! I still have about 6000 CC. I tried with different outputs, but nothing is better than surface (opengl even killed my X's...).

Is it normal?
Marcin
[/list]

Reply 3 of 3, by Guest

User metadata

Too bad you can only set "surface" as display output. I have a great speed improvement setting that to overlay. I have an ATI card now, but when I had my nVidia GeForce MX 200 there was a speed gain too.

But yes, there is A LOT of speed difference between Linux and Windows versions, even if you can set both to the same configuration. I think this should be related to the way Windows handles the graphics output (directly from kernel) while Linux has some more software layers between the program and the hardware.