VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

I'm using Mandrake 10.1 and have installed a mandrake 10 rpm of dosbox 0.61. I can easily mount my C: and A: drives as follows:

mount c /home/patrick/DOS
mount a /mnt/floppy -t floppy

I can then insert a DOS game floppy and start the install program:

a:
install

The install program begins and everything seems to go fine, but without fail either dosbox will close abruptly (no message, window just gone) or the install program will exit back to C: with an error (such as "can't copy so-and-so file") I've tried several games (all of which are listed as "supported" on the dosbox website) and all of them halt in some way during installation. HELP!

Reply 2 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

Yep, I thought it was going to be a problem with all games since two wouldn't install, but I finally got Might & Magic III to install and run fine. The two problem games are Ultima Underworld 2 and Wizardry: Crusaders of the Dark Savant. Both appear to have problems de-compressing the files after they are copied to the hard drive. Each will decompress a few files, then either dosbox crashes (window disappears) during decompression (UW2) or the installer exits to DOS with an error code (Wizardry).

Reply 3 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

Oh, it's also interesting to note that the Wizardry installer uses PKUNZIP, and normally the PKUNZIP command line echoes would be hidden during install on a "real" dos PC, but in dosbox, they begin to appear at the bottom of the screen and cause the screen to scroll until the install program display is pushed off the top of the screen... weird.

Reply 4 of 6, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There's a bug in redirection to NUL code, which I've also seen (and reported on sourceforge). For the other problem, try using the full core, at least during install. Dynamic core crashes on me as well sometimes without apparent reason.

Reply 6 of 6, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In your dosbox config file (usually called dosbox.conf, probably in your dosbox installation dir), there's a line that starts with "core=". Setting it to "core=dynamic" is a lot faster, but sometimes has problems. "core=full" or "core=normal" are alternate values that may or may not solve your problem. For more information on cores, read the documentation.