VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by _rEpTiLe

User metadata

God damn! I love the idéa of a dos emulator. I have many games i wan't to run. But one problem.... It is so fuckin' slow. It isn't playable. And on a 800Mhz i think i can run a dos game even that it's a old computer but not THAT old. I tried the CTRL-F8 and the CTRL-F12... can i resolve this problem in any way. I run Windows XP by the way.

Sorry for my crappy english.. 😢 [/b]

Reply 1 of 3, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
_rEpTiLe wrote:

God damn! I love the idéa of a dos emulator. I have many games i wan't to run. But one problem.... It is so fuckin' slow. It isn't playable. And on a 800Mhz i think i can run a dos game even that it's a old computer but not THAT old. I tried the CTRL-F8 and the CTRL-F12... can i resolve this problem in any way. I run Windows XP by the way.

Sorry for my crappy english.. 😢 [/b]

Your computer is "fuckin' slow".

Reply 2 of 3, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

See the dosbox wiki. I've run dosbox quite acceptable on a 300MHz CPU back when that was my only option, and I wrote a guide for dosbox on low-end machines, check the dosbox homepage for the link to the wiki.
800MHz is actually quite a bit, should allow you to play games up to the early 90s. (Don't expect action shooters like Doom to work well, however.)

Reply 3 of 3, by taiken7

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Downgrade your OS to Windows 95; not only is it *much* faster
its also a lot more stable; less prone to spyware and it has only
the one memory leak.

Alternatively try a linux boot CD, and see just how handicapped
your PC is with WinXP