VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kennyk

User metadata

Is it possible to make a floppy disk with the dosbox files on it to boot from start-up? If not, how about making a bootable cd-rom?
Thanks

Reply 1 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The only way to boot DosBox without using the OS on the HD is to use a Linux Live CD or a BartPE Disc.

Depending on how supported your hardware is you'd probably be better off booting with a floppy/CD with DOS on it and running the games off of CD/HD/ramdrive.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 9, by taiken7

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If you hacked the interface out, Menuet is almost a purely assembly
version (with a borrowed C compiler);
You could glue the startup bits of code to Dosbox and it would almost
work straight out of the boot.
(Compatiblity would be your problem here -- what soundcard/video do you
hard code)

Reply 5 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
taiken7 wrote:
If you hacked the interface out, Menuet is almost a purely assembly version (with a borrowed C compiler); You could glue the st […]
Show full quote

If you hacked the interface out, Menuet is almost a purely assembly
version (with a borrowed C compiler);
You could glue the startup bits of code to Dosbox and it would almost
work straight out of the boot.
(Compatiblity would be your problem here -- what soundcard/video do you
hard code)

I'd heard that people were running DosBox under Menuet but I've never given it a try myself. Anyone around here doing so?

Reply 6 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Anonymous wrote:

also, the main problem with dos, is both of my hard drives are ntfs. Is there any way to boot my computer into a dos supporting ntfs using a floppy\cd-rom?

I'm not aware of any freeware NTFS /Write drivers. Although there are NTFS drivers for Dos that allow read only access. I've used NTFS for Dos which you have to pay for if you want Write access.

Easiest and most compatible scenario would be to use PM 8 and partition your HD with a Fat16 partition for old DOS games.

Reply 8 of 9, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Any will do. Knoppix is the classic, and probably the best overall, but as far as DosBox is concerned, just choose one with GUI, that's enough.

The only thing that may be of interest to you is the fact on your video card, OpenGL is not supported using the open source drivers. NVidias proprietary driver again is usually not on live-CDs, and is generally hard to setup, so should you find a live-CD with that driver included, try that.

If you don't plan to use output=opengl, ignore the above paragraph.