VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Chicagozanian

User metadata

Am running SuperCalc 5 under DOSBox on Windows XP (trying Mac OS-X later). It works, but whenever I try to Save a file where the file already exists (even if I just loaded it), I get "Cannot write to a read-only file or disk"

The file is not "hidden" and is not marked "read only." In fact I can use the file fine running SuperCalc in the WinXP DOS window, but this is not a solution because WinXP DOS does not support EMS/XMS.

Thanks in advance to the DOSBox Wizard who knows the fix for this.

p.s. - Am writing a SuperCalc clone in Python - expressions of interest appreciated.

Reply 1 of 5, by Markus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Windows XP's DOS-Emulation does support XMS and EMS: just create a shortcut for your SuperCalc app and right click on it and then go to properties.
On the memory tab you can specify, how much XMS and EMS you want to use.

If EMS still doesn't work, you have to edit config.nt (find it somewhere below %SYSTEMROOT%) and put following line in it:

EMM=RAM

Reply 2 of 5, by Chicagozanian

User metadata

Perhaps there are different versions of WinXP, I am running the 64-bit version under VirtualPC on a Mac, and help specifically says EMS & XMS are not supported.

So, unfortunately I still have the original problem of can't save files until I manually erase the old version outside of the program I am working in.

Reply 3 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

did you try compiling the cvs of dosbox on macos x ?
there have been some fixes. but very little to the files handling part though.

you didn't mount the directory as cdrom did you ?

and you have the filepermissions on 666 ?

else you use the debugger of dosbox to see if something interresting happens:
./configure --enable-debug
and in dosbox-guides you find the keys you need to press.

The only file fix interresting I found was this one.

* src/dos/dos_files.cpp: A filename that starts with a space should
result in file_not_found. (Fixes some foreign editor)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 5, by Chicagozanian

User metadata

Being a very recent refugee from Windows, I haven't figured out compiling yet. I have tried every combination of permission bits I could think of including 777 both on the file and its directory and still have the same problem.

Even with this problem tho DOSBox is looking like a much better solution than Microsoft Virtual PC ;-\

Reply 5 of 5, by Markus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Perhaps there are different versions of WinXP, I am running the 64-bit version under VirtualPC on a Mac, and help specifically says EMS & XMS are not supported.

Well, you didn't tell so in the beginning, but it seems to me to be a queer idea to run an emulator inside another emulator.

Compiling isn't really that hard, it's basically like typing

./configure && make && make install

Take a look here: http://dosbox.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php? … =BuildingDOSBox