VOGONS

Common searches

Dont work

Topic actions

First post, by Ximinez

User metadata

I cant get the DOSBox to work... i cant enter the program itself, or use d-fend... what shall i do? i think i maybe downloaded a broken file, but it was the only one i found... please help..
f_smith1@hotmail.com 😢

Reply 3 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Repair both AUTOEXEC.NT and CONFIG.NT using copies from your WINDOWS\REPAIR folder. It seems spyware/malware or even some windows patches (who could have guessed it) are reported to damage those files.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This brings up an interesting question....Are people clicking on their DOS executables, launching their game and thinking they are running DosBox?

I've seen people post this error in relation to DosBox a number of times so I renamed autoexec.nt and config.nt and of course executed DosBox and DosBox ran fine, which of course it should since it doesn't use 16bit code.

Not sure how to educate the users on this situation because most likely if they can't figure this out well...mabye they will eventually. 😁

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 10, by Ximinez

User metadata

since u guys was so helpfull, im gonna ask for more help! 😈 greedy me 😈
i need help with getting sound on both Wolf3D and DukeNukem3D... and standard help with dukenukem.... in wolf3D i dont get music, and the same in dn3D, but i also have problems with the mouse and keys at dn3D, i cant change the keys without changing it in the text doc, and i cant turn off invert mouse, and alot of other crappy stuff....
thx... 😀

Reply 8 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

(@DosFreak/eL_PuSHeR: I had the same urge to post a question about how on Earth the repair operation could have any effect on DOSBox. But since the poster was delighted with the answer, I did not post anything)

@Ximinez, as you can see from the previous posts, we think you are a bit confused on what you should really do. Could you please try this procedure for installing and configure sound in Wolf3D?

1. Create a directory for your game, e.g. "C:\DOSBox stuff\Wolf3D".
  2. Insert CD in drive.
  3. Start DOSBox.
  4. In DOSBox, mount up DOSBox's drive C: and D:

Z:>mount C "C:\DOSBox stuff\Wolf3D"
    Z:>mount D "D:\" -t cdrom -ioctl

(assuming that D:\ is your real CD/DVD drive)
  5. Install the game from D: to C:

Z:>D:
    D:>install

(or setup, or whatever the installation program is called. Check your installation guide for Wolf3D for the exact name)
  6. Configure sound, configure graphics, ...

(when you configure sound and are asked about stuff like IO/IRQ/DMA/High DMA addresses, please verify that you use the same values as listed in "C:\Programs\DOSBox\dosbox.conf")
  7. Start game.

D:>C:
    C:>Wolf3D

(or "run", or "play" or whatever the command to start the game is called. Check the instalation guide/manual for Wolf3D for the command to use for starting the game)

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions