VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

This seems like something that should be possible, but I haven't found anything describing how. The manual refers to Ctrl-F4 being used with "imgmount", but I can't work out how. The command that I *can* get to work with it is "boot", but that causes me other problems.

The situation is that I have (non-bootable) disc images for a multi-disc install. The installation process is to run "install.exe" from the first disc, and then change discs when instructed. This would be fine with physical discs, but I can't work out how to make this happen with disc images.

The only option that seems to support cycling through a specifiied list of images is "boot", which requires you to have a bootable disc image first on the list, followed by any number of non-bootable images to cycle through with Ctrl-F4 once the first image has booted.

I did manage to track down a msdos622.img to put at the start of the list, but I ran into memory problems running the installation through that OS. As I don't have errors running the install with the default DOSBox settings, it would be much preferable to not have to boot to another OS.

Can anyone help? Either with a way to cycle through many images without the "boot" command, or else with a way to make the "boot" command actually boot the standard DOSBox OS again? (or any other solution you can think of :)

Thanks!

Reply 1 of 6, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Many multi-disk installers still work when you dump all disks into one directory and mount that dir as A:.

Some work if you copy the contents of one disk into one directory, and when the program asks for the next disk, leave dosbox running in the background and copy the next disk into the same dir.

(QBix: for the second variant, could we make Ctrl-F4 behave like calling "z:\rescan" when no images are used?)

Reply 3 of 6, by Alkarion

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

While these workarounds are known to me, it would still be nice if imgmount could be made to work that way. In some rare cases where copy protection was used it would be helpful to use the floppy image without extracting the files first.

Reply 5 of 6, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

hmm there was a patch for that from prompt once

should be in the forum somewhere.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!