VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

I'm trying to run Ascendancy with DOSBox 0.63 on my Apple iBook (1.2GHz G4). It's a little slow and could do with a few more CPU cycles but I can't increase it using ctrl + F12 as my iBook uses this combination to eject the cd, and I can't remap the key as it also uses F1 to lower the screen brightness. I can write a config file ok and changed the value in it from 3000 to 4000 and Ascendancy ran perfectly until I rebooted, at which point DOSbox stopped loading the dosbox.conf file which it had been doing perfectly well not 5 minutes earlier. I've followed all the instruction in the readme but it still won't load the dosbox.conf file with 4000 CPU cycles (Which is a bit of a bugger).

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Reply 1 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Do a search on your harddisk for that config file. How many do you see? Where are they? Inside the main DOSBox installation directory? With the game? Which one do you want to use? How do you start DOSBox?

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 10, by Guest

User metadata

I've only got one copy of dosbox.conf and it's in the same directory as dosbox.app, ~/Applications/DOSbox/ with Ascendancy being in ~/Applications/ASCEND/

I usualy start DOSbox from the application dock at the bottom of the screen.

Is there another version of DOSbox I could use that is started from the terminal? The .app version won't let me do that. Could that be the problem?

Thanks for your help

Reply 3 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hmm... Can you rename your dosbox.conf to 4000.conf (not copy, rename!) and then launch DOSBox all by itself? Next, from the DOSBox Z-prompt do this:

Z:> config -writeconf dosbox.conf

Now compare dosbox.conf with your 4000.conf. Any differences besides the cycle settings?

Reply 6 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hmm... Either I do not understand how DOSBox works on MacOS, or your DOSBox is sick since it refuses to obey the changed cycles setting!

Try this: Search for a file named .dosboxrc (dot dosboxrc, most likely in your home directory). That is an alternative name for the config file.

Reply 7 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

@Guest - when you launch DOSBox, how many windows do you get? 1 or 2? Do the second window list which config file DOSBox is using?

Reply 8 of 10, by Guest

User metadata

.dosboxrc dosen't exist. I tried renaming my modified config file that but OS X wouldn't let me saying that files beginning with a "." are reserved for the system, and my UNIX is too rusty to try renaming it from the terminal.

I only get one window when I launch DOSbox, the DOSbox window itself, looking at me all smug with it's 3000 CPU cycles...

Reply 9 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

@Guest - can you modify/add command line parameters to your DOSBox.app? There are some options to have DOSBox redirect some of its status messages to a file (on Windows these messages usually go to a secondary window). Check the DOSBox ReadMe. I think the option is -noconsole and the files are names stdout.txt and stderr.txt.

Unix rename:

$ mv old-filename new-filename

Finally, there is frontend for DOSBox on MacOS. PetitDOSBox or something. Perhaps if you can find a forum that caters for uses of that MacOS frontend, they can help you with the elusive dosbox.conf ??

PS: If you find the cause, and a fix, please, please report back. I would love hear what the problem is.