VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Calaver

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This isn't so much of a problem as it is a tweaking question: is there any way to increase the amount of memory the GUS is emulating? It doesn't matter if it affects processor power or host memory (not DOSBox emuRAM) as I have both to spare, I just wonder if it's possible to get above 1MB.

Two of the programs I run, Impulse Tracker and FastTrakker 2, work better with the GUS emulation than the SB-16 emulation--they handle more channels due to external SPU, rather than relying on the 80x86 proc, the GUS has better memory-handling options and includes automatic interpolation, and it uses less cycles to process sound via GUS than with SB16 in general.

Another less-important question I have is, will there ever be an SB-32 AWE emulator? It offers better SPU control than the GUS and more memory expansion, plus some sound-tweaking options that aren't available with the GUS. That's just a suggestion rather than a necessity; I'm more interested in finding out if the GUS is expandable or not.

Athlon XP 2700+
512MB (256x2) dual-channel DDR 2700 (333MHz)
NVIDIA nForce2 w/MCP, 333MHz FSB
160GB RAID 0 (2x80GB) (striped)
ASUS ATI Radeon 9600XT 128MB VIVO, dual 15" CRT (yeah, I know...)
Windows XP Pro

Reply 1 of 5, by Guest

User metadata

to tell the truth, it cannot be at this point, for it emulates the "standard" gus with gf1 chipset, which simply can not address more than 1MB of local memory. the one that can do this is gus pnp with amd interwave processor, and sadly it is not supported by fasttracker (maybe there's a patch somewhere, can't remember well...)
impulse tracker can use even 8MB of gus pnp memory via its interwave driver.

Reply 3 of 5, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think he DID understand what you've said. Did you understand what HE said?

If DOSBox emulates a chip that can not address more than 1 Mb, you won't get any benefits of 2 Mb of RAM emulated. The emulated chip won't work with anything more than 1 Mb.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!