VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by RyotheTactician

User metadata

Hi,
I'm Ryo the Tactician, video gamer sj/ Anime Fan. I've been working forever on getting Myst to work on my computer, but I know this forum isn't one for direct game questions, so let me get to my main point.

Myst

This topic is the one exactly applicable to my question. The poster has the exact problem that I am having with Myst. However, I can't seem to find the solution even after reading both topics that Pusher provided links to. I need to get in contact with el_Pusher, because I'm pretty sure that he knows the solution, but my computer for some reason is not letting me register for these forums. Meaning, I can't view his profile and find any way to contact him. Could someone give me Pusher's e-mail, or something?

I've been working for quite a while to get Myst to work on my computer, and after solving about 3 problems and acquiring the game, only to find that my display driver won't work, I think that this DosBox is my last hope, and that if I can just get past the problem stated in the thread linked above, I might have it. I appreciate any help in my contacting el_Pusher. Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,
~Ryo the Tactician

Reply 1 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, I guess you have read everything you mentioned.

For starters, if Myst is a WINDOWS 9.x game, there's no point in running it using DOSBox (DOSBox is just for ms-dos). On the other hand, if Myst is a Windows 3.x game you COULD TRY running Windows 3.1 under DOSBox and throwing Myst at it.

For all other questions, ask directly here. I DO NOT HAVE MYST. I HAVE EVEN NEVER PLAYED IT. 😎

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 4, by RyotheTactician

User metadata

Hey,
The reason I'm using Dos Box is because of the error message:

Myst requires a 256 color palettized display driver.

I thought that DosBox could emulate this. But when I tried, I got the same error message as that other guy. Could you just tell me exactly what you told him, in relation to his problem?

~Ryo

PS. Myst can use Windows 3.1 or MS/Dos 5.0 or higher. That's what it says under sys req. Also, can I get in touch with that Friez guy who posted the question in the thread I linked you to? I want to know if he ever got Myst to work on Windows XP, and if so, how.

Reply 3 of 4, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well. I deleted the pm so I don't remember what I told him.

Anyway, because you say Myst has a ms-dos executable, then it might be possible to run it under DOSBox.

Start reading the readme files and/or guides on this forum. Then post back all the exact commands you tried in case you run into any problems.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have an old Windows 3.1 version of Myst, and I think I was able to get it to work by setting the shortcut properties to run in 256 color mode. I may have been under Win98 or Win2K at the time though.