VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by TomB

User metadata

When I play 16 color games like Kings Quest 1 and Gobliiins, the colors will mysteriously invert themselves, either the whole screen or part of it, and it usually stays messed up until I quit the game. Are there any standard fixes for a problem like this?

Reply 1 of 5, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember my GeForce4 Ti4200 doing things like that but only when running the games natively under Windows XP NTVDM or ms-dos itself. Are you sure you are running them under DOSBox?

What colour depth is your windows desktop set to?

What screen rendering method is being used for DOSBox?

You should also try upgrading your video drivers.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 5, by TomB

User metadata

My Windows XP is running at 16-bit color depth. I have DOSBox set to run in Windows 95 compatibility mode, but have not chosen to run in 256 colors only (I could try that, but it will limit more recent DOS games). I'm using the default output method, Surface - should I try one of the others? I am pretty sure my video drivers are fully up to date, but I'll try that too.

Thanks,
Tom

Reply 4 of 5, by TomB

User metadata

All,

If you have this problem and it's not your video drivers (mine were up to date), try the other output modes. Output is a line near the top of the dosbox.conf file. I tried "opengl" which didn't work because the screen blanked out every time it changed modes, but "overlay" has worked great. I have no idea what the different modes mean, exactly, but I do know that I fixed my problem by simply trying different ones until it worked.

Thanks, everyone, for your help. I love getting to play my 10-15 year old Sierra games!

-- Tom

Reply 5 of 5, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I could explain what they are, but you use them exactly as intended: use the one that works best for you, since there is no single "best" choice for all PCs 😀