Common searches

FM MIDI - How do you enable it?

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 26, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm... AdPlug seems to be not designed to play straight-up MIDI files. Out of 37 that I had laying around, only 1 would play - I have no idea why.

It would be nice if someone would write a player that would let you play MIDI files through an OPL emulator, optionally specifying IBK/BNK/etc. instrument definition files.

Reply 21 of 26, by LordHaHa

User metadata

Wouldn't have minded an emulator like that meself. Would have saved me some trouble.

Good news on my dilemmia, BTW. I got DF to run, and I'm ripping the music w/ SB OPL3 FM via that with wave capture. It's gonna be slow to get all the music I need, though.

Thank's for all the help, guys. Might pop back later and shoot the breeze about some of the DOS/DOS gaming experiences I've had over the last 15 years some time. See ya until then.

LordHaHa

Reply 23 of 26, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LordHaHa wrote:

Basically, what I am trying to do is to playback certian game MIDI files (ripped directly from TES2: Daggerfall) using Sound Blaster 16 FM modulation and transfer that music directly to a wave file so that I can use it in a TES3: Morrowind mod that I'm making (...)

Now, I start thinking about this. I have DosBox. DosBox emulates SB16 FM. No problem then! I just have to search the 'net and find any old DOS MIDI player. Then I just play the stupid music I want while having the sound capture feature active. Problem solved, right?

One of the problems I see with this (and you have probably encountered this), is that FM-music needs instrument definitions. There is no standard way to incorporate them into a MIDI-file. DOS MIDI-players using AdLib might include an instrumentbank for General MIDI, but there's no guarantee Daggerfall uses this. Also, there's the problem with what mode to use: intstrumental or instrumental + percussion. I know of a DOS MIDI-player that could convert ROL-files to MID and used SysEx-messages to add AdLib specific stuff like mode and instruments. It's also possible the Daggerfall MID-files contains their own SysEx stuff. I'm not suprised it didn't work out to your satisfaction.

LordHaHa wrote:
[…]
Show full quote
[midi]
mpu401=true

I would set this to FALSE, so you are sure that the DOS MIDI player doesn't recognize the MIDI device and tries to use it.

JAL

Reply 24 of 26, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
LordHaHa wrote:

Good news on my dilemmia, BTW. I got DF to run, and I'm ripping the music w/ SB OPL3 FM via that with wave capture.

That would have been my advise as well 😀.

JAL

Reply 25 of 26, by LordHaHa

User metadata

Well, I'm not quite gone yet...😀

HunterZ: Anyways, I just simply installed DF, setup the sound card...you know the drill. Everything was set on par with my SB config settings. Started the game, viola. FM works. It still doesn't work in the shell, but it does great in-game. Funny that.

And thanks for the info, JAL. It's nice to know what might have been giving me issues.

Anyway, have to get some software ready for a guy I know by tonight, but I'll be back.

LordHaHa