VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by curvedline

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

can someone give an example of how to use -userconf ?

1. dosbox.exe -userconf - conf file1.conf -conf file2.conf
or
2. dosbox.exe - conf file1.conf -userconf file2.conf

when i tried 2. dosbox didnt like dosbox

ps, i edited -userconf file1.conf to -userconf file2.conf

Last edited by curvedline on 2021-12-22, 11:27. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 6, by llm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

from https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Usage

-userconf[1]
Load the configuration from the user's profile or home directory. This is the default behavior, so this switch is useful when using -conf, below.

got no parameter

-conf configfilelocation
Load the config file specified in configfilelocation. Useful for specifying particular options for specific games. If used after -userconf, or if you use multiple -conf switches, options present in multiple configs will be overwritten by the last, except for autoexec entries, which will be appended in order.

got a filepath parameter

Reply 2 of 6, by curvedline

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

sorry i didnt understand what you wrote, it seemed like -conf c:\my_own_modded_file1.conf already had the -userconf meaning bulit into it. because i already told the dosbox where to look for and read the file1.conf, this was all i understood.

Reply 3 of 6, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can have some preferred default configuration that you load with the -userconf parameter.
Then you can override some of the default options by loading another (partial) configuration file with the -conf option:
dosbox.exe -userconf -conf C:\dosbox_cga.conf

And the contents of dosbox_cga.conf could be just:
[dosbox]
machine = cga

All other options are loaded from the default configuration file
{system drive}:\Users\{username}\AppData\Local\DOSBox\dosbox-{version}.conf

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 4 of 6, by curvedline

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

AA = dosbox.exe -userconf -conf C:\dosbox_cga.conf
BB = dosbox.exe -conf C:\dosbox_cga.conf
arent AA and BB the same?

all DOSBox.confs from GOG.com's games have as simple a conf as below and it is next to dosbox.exe and works very nicely. i thought i could use 2 confs with -userconf. ok i will play it and study more.

[sdl]
fullscreen=true
sensitivity=180

[render]
# normal2x, normal3x, advmame2x, advmame3x, advinterp2x, advinterp3x, hq2x, hq3x,
# 2xsai, super2xsai, supereagle, tv2x, tv3x, rgb2x, rgb3x, scan2x, scan3x.

aspect=true
scaler=hq2x

[cpu]
core=auto
cycles=max

[autoexec]
# Do not change anything below this line!
mount c ".."
imgmount d "..\Disc\SHANNARA.ISO" -t iso
c:
shannara.exe
exit

Reply 5 of 6, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
curvedline wrote on 2021-12-22, 18:45:

AA = dosbox.exe -userconf -conf C:\dosbox_cga.conf
BB = dosbox.exe -conf C:\dosbox_cga.conf
arent AA and BB the same?

No, they are not the same.

AA: Loads the configuration from AppData and overrides some options with values from dosbox_cga.conf.
BB: Uses DOSBox internal defaults and overrides some options with values from dosbox_cga.conf.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42

Reply 6 of 6, by curvedline

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

>>You can have some preferred default configuration that you load with the -userconf parameter.
to me, -conf C:\myconf.conf this is also my default configuration without using -userconf

>>AA: Loads the configuration from AppData and overrides some options with values
this is probably the key point of -userconf, but then i didnt understand what Appdata was , but wait it just occured to me C:\Users\AAA\AppData\Roaming\.... yes there should be one in there that should be the same as the one in C:\dosbox\... i remember this one since ver 0.74, after 0.74, even if it was deleted, it auto-generated ittelf in the long path directory. i totally moved it to C:\dosbox\. then i never looked back and went back to the long path and searched it from C:\Users\AAA\AppData\Roaming\... as a matter of a fact from all these years, i dont know what was in C:\Users\AAA\AppData\Roaming\... anymore, i simply use dosbox.zip to install a new update.

so i think they should be the same ones.
deafult conf : in my understanding, this one might be the invisible conf inside the dosbox.exe itself

dosbox.exe -conf dosbox.conf -conf myconf.conf
myconf.conf is my short one like the one from GOG's dosbox.conf
i think i understood, i justhave to remove -userconf

it was funny that i thought AppData was from a company like soundblaster and it was a saved setup file from the games.