VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Olmstov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hi,
i'm using dosbox version 0.63 on windows xp, i'm playing jagged alliance deadly games over the ipx network, everythings working fine except the game play is Extremely slow, like watching paint dry. i tried increasing the cpu cycles to close to 100 percent but not over and i even have the skip frames maxed (10), the cpu cycles are around 18000, in the task manager i have dosbox priority set to high, these all help slightly, the game is still extremly slow, does anyone have any suggestions to this problem? would be greatly appreciated

Reply 1 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is your dosbox.conf set to core=dynamic? Have you tried replacing JA's DOS4GW with DOS32a?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 8, by Olmstov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

no my core dynamic is set to normal? so if i set this to dynamic i don't have to do anything else, just change the normal to dynamic and it should make it work better?? hows that work if you don't mind me asking

and no i didn't replace the JA dos4GW to dos32a, how do i do this?? and what does this do?

Reply 3 of 8, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Olmstov wrote:

just change the normal to dynamic and it should make it work better?? hows that work if you don't mind me asking

It activates a different CPU emulation in DOSBox that is more effective = more speed. The dynamic core has problems with some programs, so it is not the default, but when it works it is good.

Olmstov wrote:

and no i didn't replace the JA dos4GW to dos32a, how do i do this?? and what does this do?

Use the SEARCH, Luke!

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 8, by Olmstov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

okay i switched dos4GW to dos32a and i switched the core to dynamic
it works a little better but it's still pretty choppy, i set frameskip to 5, and cycles to 30000, i can push this up to 40 000 but it doesn't make a difference just makes the cpu cap out at 100 sometimes
anything else i can do with this game??

Reply 5 of 8, by Olmstov

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

alright, new note to my problems, i started playing it on multiplayer using those new settings and part way through my first turn it crashed, i'm gonna guess this has to do with the dynamic core?? i'm testing this out now playing the game on just single player and i've noticed something interesting, with these current settings i had for the multiplayer the game is flying, but on multiplayer over the ipxnet it's choppy and slow as hell
does that mean the problem has something to do with the ipxnet configuration and not the speed the game is trying to be run at?

Reply 6 of 8, by Granyte

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've also noticed this.

I can play Transport Tycoon Deluxe in dosbox just fine. The moment I click the button that makes the game attempt IPX stuff, it practically dies in speed. Oddly enough, the MIDI music in the game is normal, whereas the midi music would normally slow down if I started dropping the emulated cpu cycles....

I can actually get two computers running dosbox and TTD to connect and give a message that the connection was successful, but the game is too unresponsive to do anything. After about a few minutes, the game might recognize that I clicked 1-player mode, and all of a sudden its responsive again and not slow.

Something is wrong or unexpected with the IPX emulation that causes the game to be unresponsive. If I had time, I'd dig into the source myself.