VOGONS

Common searches

King Quest 8

Topic actions

First post, by Dagostino

User metadata

I am trying to install king quest 8 from cd-rom but when I type autorun or setup, it says win setup.exe illegal command. I guess the installer page is in windows mode. How can I get my game installed?

Reply 1 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You need to mount the CD-ROM from within DOSBox first, then change to the mounted virtual drive letter and THEN run the setup program.

Isn't KQ8 a Windows-only game though?

Reply 2 of 12, by Guest

User metadata

Thanks for trying to help, I forgot to mention that I have already mounted the cdrom before I did setup.
I mounted the cd and it listed all the files when I typed the dir command. But like I said, I type setup or autorun, it is telling me it is a windows command. I guess the install page is in windows mode, but I do not know how to to install from the dosbox emulator.

Reply 3 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It really looks to me like this is a Windows-only game:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/kings-q … ask-of-eternity

With the possible exception of Windows 3.1 or lower, you can't run Windows games in DOSBox.

It's possible that you might be able to run the game natively in Windows - have you tried launching the setup program directly from Windows?

Reply 5 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Read this for the autoexec.nt problem: 16-bit subsystem error "Your system is not suitable for running 16-bit apps"

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Min OS requirement for MoE is Win 95. It is playable in XP, though some have had problems with lockups at two or three points in the game. These can usually be worked around.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 8 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, but it seems to make little difference. The lock ups occur at a couple of cut scenes. The first one can happen when leaving the mill house in Daventry with the axe. This is an easy one to get around. just be sure to leave the mill house in first person view.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 12, by sryx

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am a HUGE fan of the King’s Quest series (one of the key reasons why I love DOSBox sooo much, VR Studio is the other) and it seems universally accepted that KQ8 was a letdown, from lack of imagination, to poor execution. With all of the talent available in this message board are there (or have there ever been) any attempts to recreate games in the style of the original (kind of like a fan project). Speaking as a programmer I can say that the interface of the KQ5 and 6 (best in the series) games is rather easy to simulate, especially with tools like SDL. It would require musicians, writers, artists and programmers, but could it actually be possible? In a pre 1999 interview with Roberta Williams (from her fan site) she talks about the original idea of KQ8 being about a spell that turns all people of Daventry into stone, but also causing all statues to be turned into real people. The concept of a hero who by saving humanity dooms himself seems so wonderful to explore. What if we created a project that explored this story line (use sufficiently different characters so that it might actually fit inside the SQ time line) with a kind of KQ6.1 interface. You could make the project semi open source (like don’t release story line or plot spoiling graphics until the whole game is done) and giving the stagnation of the KQ franchise, you might even be allowed to exist (albeit only for free) without incurring the wrath of Sierra’s lawyers. It might even be a nice way to say thank you to Roberta Williams. What do you thing?
-Jason

Reply 10 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There have been fan remakes of KQ1 and KQ2 with a KQ6 like interface and VGA graphics. Both are well respected by most KQ fans. AGDI used AGS to create these remakes. They even got Josh Mandel (who did the voice of Graham for Sierra in KQ5) to do the voice acting for King Graham. You can DL them from http://www.agdinteractive.com/ and also have voice and digital music packs, too. AGDI is currently working on a VGA remake of QfG2 and has consulted with the Coles for the project.

There is also a fan game in the works for KQ9, where they want to tie together all the story lines from the earlier games. This is a large project that has been in the works for a long time. They insist that the project is not dead and is being actively developed. Their web site can be found at http://www.kq9.org/

Reply 11 of 12, by FingerSoup

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

Min OS requirement for MoE is Win 95. It is playable in XP, though some have had problems with lockups at two or three points in the game. These can usually be worked around.

True, but in Win2k (and I'm assuming XP) you may experience game crashes when loading a saved game. check the nt compatible database: http://www.ntcompatible.com/clist-All-k-All-40.html

Reply 12 of 12, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Often 2k users can have this problem and also cannot get past the cut scene lock-ups. The save game crash does not seem to occur on XP and most of the lock-ups can be worked around.