VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

I saw in the patches section of sourcefourge sometime ago that Qbix was trying to implement zip or rar or 7zip mounting. Has anything come of this?

Reply 1 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

uhm the redesign of the drives to be able to do it still resides on my harddisk.

Did some other "cool" stuff first.

Harekiet did some coding on it as well.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 7, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

QBix, are you going to use PhysFS or a hand-coded solution? I haven't used it yet, but PhysFS looks like exactly what we need: the ability to stack several sources, so that you could mount a directory, a zip file with game files and a zip with system files (dos32a for example). Read accesses are directed to the first source that has the matching file, write accesses go to the directory. PhysFS supports many different archive formats.

Reply 5 of 7, by TeaRex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Last I looked, PhysFS had a big problem in that it doesn't support rename or move operations.This prevented e.g. Ultima 6 from working, which creates its save files under a temporary file name then renames them when it's done.

EDIT: I should note that this was 1 or 2 years ago. Maybe this is fixed by now, I never bothered to take another look since updates to PhysFS seemed to be few and far between at that time.

tearex

Reply 6 of 7, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

just noticed that ykhwong's latest build has physfs 7-zip support. Where did that come from? Very nice!

Physfs svn said about "7zip support" 11 months ago.
Gulikoza's build also supports this.

Last edited by ykhwong on 2007-03-30, 16:20. Edited 1 time in total.