VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by hydr0x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

ok, i encounter that error in various games and after searching a little bit through the board, it seems i'm not the only one...

obviously some change made from 0.61 to 0.62 causes this but i'm not too sure as i didn't use those two versions, just a conclusion made from the facts other people having these problems gave

updating my graphic drivers ain't an option, they are up2date

it has to be SOME setting in the conf file but i tried a lot of stuff, disabling a lot of stuff and playing around, nothing worked. why has it got to be something in the conf? well, i deleted my conf file and booted dosbox without any conf-file and voila, all those games now work!!

so, i'm still trying to find out what exactly causes this (=which setting) but i'm pretty sure it's an easy solution as soon as we find it and i hope this can be fixed in future releases 😀

Reply 2 of 13, by hydr0x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

that doesn't help, sorry, forgot to mention it, several other people who have these problems tried it too

here is a list of everything that's different between the standard working dosbox.conf and the one not working

not working uses a language file

working/not working

scaler=normal2x / none
gus=true / false
speaker = true / false

this is the autoexec part in the non working

mount c g:\dosroot
c:
keyb gr
mount d d:\ -t cdrom
mount e e:\ -t cdrom

i'm off to check off all those things

Reply 3 of 13, by hydr0x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

omg

it's the speaker setting

speaker must be set to true to avoid this problem 😅

maybe you should make a sticky or guide about this as i've seen several people have this problem and noone found out a solution in those threads...

Reply 5 of 13, by hydr0x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i can't remember why i disabled it...

but still, this doesn't seem to happen (with the same setting in pre0.62) and it should not happen, right?

hope other people having this problem will find the solution in this thread

Reply 7 of 13, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've heard alot of games require the speaker....even if it's not used. Never encountered the issue myself since I've never disabled the speaker on a host system or under DosBox.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 13, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well The bug is fixed in the cvs.
but it's just uncommon to disable it.
but if you don't like the pcbeeper sounds I can understand it somehow.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 10 of 13, by hydr0x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thx Qbix

well, i really can't remember WHY i did deactivate it, i have nothing against pcspeaker, grew up with it.... it's not that uncommon to disable it, just search for "fatal signal" or something like that here on the board and you'll find quite a lot of people with the same problem 😉

Reply 11 of 13, by arromdee4

User metadata

I got the same error. Except it was in 0.63 and the cause was completely different.

It appeared to happen (Mandrake Linux 10.1) because I specified 320x200 graphics mode in my .dosboxrc. If I do that and go fullscreen, it crashes. If I change that to 640x400, everything worked.

I do have an appropriate modeline for both 320x200 and 640x400, and when Dosbox crashed it actually left my machine in 320x200 mode, so the problem is not that the mode doesn't work. (Though I suppose SDL might just not handle it properly.)

(By the way, does anyone know how I can recover my password here? I use an expiring email address which I don't remember and which would have expired anyway.)

Reply 12 of 13, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You mean by using fullfixed=true and fullresolution=320x200? Don't do that... it's quite hard to squeeze 640x400 pixels (like the DOS prompt uses) into 320x200 pixels 😀

Why define fullfixed at all? Setting it to 320x200 is as useful as not using it.