Common searches

SDL + NT 3.51

Topic actions

First post, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

heh. I was bored today so while playing around I decided to load up DosBox. Unfortunately it didn't work! *shock* Is SDL compatible with NT 3.51?

It would be quite amusing to see DosBox working under such an old OS.

Reply 2 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Forgot about WINDIB again. Geesh, stupid memory. I'll try that.

Sweet, 3 more posts. Hmmmm,

Running DosBox on DOS?
Running DosBox under Windows 3.1?
Running DosBox on ....uhhhh...dangit....uhhhh.....TI-80?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 10, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

on the other hand, after trying my hand on installing WfW 3.11 and Windows 95 on Dosbox, I toyed with the idea of trying the NT line of Windows as well. But as I only have W2k and XP of the NT line, I'm out of luck (or maybe I'm lucky 😀).
So 3.51 can't run Dosbox, but can Dosbox run NT 3.51? 😀

Reply 4 of 10, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3.51 is NT based kernel which does not run on top of dos as win9x does. I guess you could try booting the image but afaik dosbox is far from emulating an entire pc as vmware and virtualpc do.

Reply 6 of 10, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've had that thought too 😀
But I guess NT doesn't support int13 disks, and that's the lowest level dosbox emulates. Win9x still supports routing disk accesses through int13, but I think all of the NT line need direct port i/o. Linux would fail for the same reason (hmm... using only a ram disk (initrd), linux might actually work... 😉 )

Reply 8 of 10, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The lower you go, the more difficult (and performance problematic) it gets. Going lower would mean emulating port accesses and possibly DMA transfers, which is a lot more complex and has more overhead than intercepting int13 calls (which still translate into native OS calls quite easily).

Given the goal of a good _game_ emulator, I doubt it will come in the forseeable future. Remember, even the win95/win3.1 patches were done more for completeness and out of curiosity than out of real need.

Reply 10 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

nope.
I'm supprised that there is 1 game that requires image support (so real int 13)

even windows 3.11 doesn't require that 😀

(some game that replaced data when you loaded an executable as copyright protection)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!