VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Compared to most of the peeps here, I am a newbie to DOS. I started with computers in 1996 with a win 3.11 computer. However let me get directly to my problem.

I have X-com Terror from the Deep and Enemy unknown and was able to play them in WinMe which still had DOS in it. I got a new laptop with WinXP and couldnt play it. I did some research on the net and found that some peeps had had the same problem and found a solution; DOSBOX 😀.

Happily, I have downloaded the Win32 DOSBOX.exe. I have tried to install it but it will not work. It gives an error. The error is titled 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem. The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. CS:0f81 IP:0119 OP: 65 63 74 20 61.

I have a HP Athlon XP-M laptop running Win XP SP1 with 192 RAM 64MB graphics.

Can anyone offer any advice?

Thanks in advance..

Reply 2 of 3, by ASM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Happily, I have downloaded the Win32 DOSBOX.exe. I have tried to install it but it will not work. It gives an error. The error is titled 16-bit MS-DOS Subsystem. The NTVDM CPU has encountered an illegal instruction. CS:0f81 IP:0119 OP: 65 63 74 20 61.

I wonder why you download DOSBox if you run the game natively 🙄

Reply 3 of 3, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

it was a corrupt .exe file

ASM: this is the answer to your question. If you read carefully you'll understand that the error came from trying to install Dosbox. If the exe is corrupt (by for example trying to download the SourceForge mirror page instead of chossing a mirror) you'll get that.