VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by adam8281

User metadata

I'm new to the DOS emulation scene, and I'm having trouble getting my games running with DOSBox. All the DOS games I have are in RAR'd, I don't have original discs, and when I try to install/play them with DOSBox I often get to a screen that says "insert disc 1" or "insert disc 2." Here's an example of what I've been doing:
*Un-Rar all files from space quest 4 to c:\games\oldgames\sq4
*start DOSBox
*type "mount c c:\games\oldgames\sq4"
*type c:
*type sierra.bat

When I do this, I get the Space Quest intro, but then in a moment I get a dialogue box that asks me to insert disc 2. I don't know what to do, since I don't have discs. The same things happens whether I run sierra.bat, or install.exe, or sierrah.bat, or sq4.bat. This has been the case for the other games I've tried as well, for example Kings quest and Oregon Train 2.

I'd appreciate any help you can offer. I imagine that I'm just doing something stupid. Thanks

Reply 1 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Probably you have the installations packed. After decompressing them (to a temporary directory) you must follow the installation procedure. 😎

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 11, by Guest

User metadata

Hmmm. I have decompressed the files to a directory, I decompressed SQ4.rar into the folder c:\games\oldgames\sq4

When I try to follow the installation procedure, I come to a point where it asks me to type the letter of the hard drive I want to install the game to. I type C. Then it asks if I want to do a small or complete installation, and I choose complete. Then an error occurs, "can't open input file in copy." I click enter and it goes to try to find the next file, same message. After scrolling through about 20-30 of these error messages, I then get to a new message that says "Please insert the disc labeled "disc 1" into drive C" None of the files I un-rar'd are titled disc 1, and so I'm just not sure what to do.

Here's a link to a jpeg of what my sq4 folder looks like. Thanks for the help
http://s39.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=16BNBERZDA … A00MIXXKVZ54O0N

Reply 3 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

@Guest - read this post. It should give you an idea of how you need to treat your unpacked files/directory as if it was an CD you were installing from:

Re: dos box 0.63

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 4 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the above doesn't work, post back and I'll post a listing of my SQ4 directoy.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 11, by Guest

User metadata

OK, I'm getting closer. Thanks for posting the link to the tutorial on mounting the drives. I had been mounting the C drive, but I wasn't aware that I needed to mount D as a cdrom. I followed the instructions, and here is what I typed:

mount c "c:\games\oldgames\postinstall\sq4"
mount d "c:\games\oldgames\preinstall\sq4" -t cdrom
d:
install

The sierra install begins, and I click through the sound card selection, etc. When it comes time to install the files, however, I get the message "error creating configuration file" and the installation stops. It seems to me that I'm getting closer, but what is going wrong?

Reply 6 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Hmm - did you clean out the postinstall\sq4 directory before starting the install?

Using Windows Explorer, check if any read-only files exists in preinstall\sq4. If so, make then read-write. It could be that the installer copies the read-only attribute from the preinstall to the postinstall directory.

Reply 7 of 11, by Guest

User metadata

Yeah, I did clean out the postinstall\sq4 folder, and also I made sure all of the files in preinstall\sq4 are read-write.

Here is a twist:
When I DON'T type -t cdrom at the end of the
"mount d c:\games\oldgames\preinstall\sq4"
then the install gets farther, and doesn't give me the "error creating configuration file" message. When I don't do the -t cdrom, it asks me what drive I want to install the game to, and I say "C," and then it asks if I want to do a small or complete install, and I do complete. It then goes on to INSTALL a number of files, but then a message comes up asking for me to insert disc 2.

I don't know if this means anything, but it looks like I'm getting a partial install when I don't mount D: as a cdrom, and I get no install when I do (I just get that configuration file error message). I appreciate the help I'm getting on this forum. Any more suggestions?

Reply 8 of 11, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If these rars are the files of the original Sierra install floppies, some of the larger game files were split over more than one disk and need to be concatenated or joined during the install. I have archived all of my old floppy games on to CD for safe keeping. When I want to install one of these with DOSBox, I just mount a folder as an A: drive as a floppy and copy the archived files from each disk as needed by the install. This works with most of the Sierra floppy games.

As far as the configuration file problem goes, be sure that you let the game install to the default location, C:\SIERRA\SQ4, (C: can be just your mounted C: in DOSBox)

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 11, by Guest

User metadata

OK, I feel like such a noob. I realized one mistake, I assumed SQ4.1.rar, SQ4.2.rar, SQ4.3.rar...SQ4.6.rar were all linked together, and that when I extracted the contents of SQ4.1.rar to my hard drive I would get ALL of the files. That's not the case though; each of those must be a disc.

Now, I HAVE gotten the game to install properly after un-raring all the proper files, HOWEVER, I could not get it to install properly when I used the -t cdrom command. It installed properly when I left that command off though. Why is this? And is it a problem that I didn't get it to install with the -t cdrom, or is that not a big deal? Either way, I'm playing Space Quest 4 now, but I'd like to understand why the -t cdrom thing isn't working, why I'm getting an error with the configuration file, so I'll know what's going if I have similar problems with other games in the future.

Reply 10 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

So mr. self-appointed noob - those SQ4.x.rar files, what do you think they were made from? CD-ROM's or floppies?