VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by BoJangles

User metadata

Before I ever knew about DOSBox, I would play Master of Magic on my machine. Using Windows XP (SP2 now...) I would be able to get Master of Magic to play with General Midi audio, but I could *never* get it to work correctly with any kind of SFX setting. So, I played with Music but never heard SFX. I tried every sound card option in the game, with every HEX/IRQ/DMA option I could, to no avail.

So, I know my sound card could do General Midi. I'm not sure if this causes a problem, but becase of World of Warcraft I was forced to install these hacked drivers in order to not get sound corruption over time (If you read the WoW forums, they have issues with their audio on some system setups). Link: http://kxproject.lugosoft.com/index.php?skip=1

I found out about DOSBox yesterday, immidiately got giddy and installed it. (I have a ton of old games I want to play. 😁) I mounted the Master of Magic directory, opened up the configuration and set it up to use General Midi (Like I always have been) and SoundBlaster Pro for SFX. The game starts, no music. So I reconfigure the game to use SoundBlaster Pro for the Music (still using SBPro for SFX). The game has music (though nasty and not as nice as General Midi) AND Sound Effects. Woohoo! Sound effects! How I've missed you so.

But why isn't General Midi working? I tried to find DOSBox information on General Midi configuration, but that's a pain to find anything for... in fact, I didn't find anything. I tried running it under different General Midi configs, Hex 300, Hex 330, etc, IRQ 2, IRQ 5, IRQ 7, etc. All to no avail. I even tried a few MT-32 options as well (hey, it worked a few times when I was running it straight through WinXP 😜).

So, my question is... what am I doing wrong as far as General Midi configuration that causes me to not get General Midi? (Which worked in WinXP).

And I brought up the alternative SB Audigy drivers thing, because maybe the issue lies in those drivers?

Reply 1 of 3, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It should work as long as you have your dosbox.conf set to default (I think) for MIDI device, and have your default Windows MIDI device (in the control panel) set to the one you want DOSBox to play the music through.

Reply 2 of 3, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

1) kx driver's MIDI(?)isn't working or you don't have sound bank loaded with it (try playing midi file in windows media player and see if you have any midi devices in control panel/media)
or
2) emulated MPU-401 port in dosbox is 330, irq 2. But I doubt this game uses Irq. If it does, it could be problem with mpu-401 emulation ( I hope not 😀 )
or
3) Game doesn't support general midi although it claims so. Unlikely but possible (I had a game demo doing this). Could also be a configuration problem, or some files missing.

Reply 3 of 3, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I didn't see that s/he was using kX... That's a big can of worms. Definitely make sure a Soundfont is loaded and that you can play MIDI music in Windows apps, as Srecko suggested.