VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Hi,

I have a dedicated linux based web server that I'd like to set up as a dosbox IPX server. Does anyone know if this is possible or how I'd go about this?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 10, by Markus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

That's very vague - what exactly do you try to achieve?

To make linux understand ipx you will only have to type

modprobe ipx

, but that wouldn't get you very far, because ipx-packets aren't routed through the internet.
You can try to install dosbox on your server and start your game in server-mode in it, perhaps without sound and highest frameskip possible.

Reply 3 of 10, by Markus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

With all ipx-based network games that I know, you have to start a server on one machine, if you can't do that on your webserver, you'd have to setup the server as an ipx-router, which is not a trivial task (at least, when you're not in a netware-environment.)
Like I said before, ipx-packets aren't routed through the internet, so you'd have to tunnel them through tcp/ip-packets.
Chances to get that working are merely existant, I'd suggest forgetting it.

Reply 4 of 10, by ASM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOSBox tunnels IPX through TCP/IP. This means you just need a TCP/IP connection.
Start DOSBox on the server and run IPXNET STARTSERVER.
Then connect all DOSBox machines to that server by typing IPXNET CONNECT <IP>

Reply 6 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is it just a matter of being able to have DOSBox run those commands once it starts? If so, you can set up a dosbox.conf with an autoexec section that automatically runs those commands for you. The only way to then shut it down, though, would be to kill the DOSBox process.

Reply 7 of 10, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You'd also need some SDL output method that works for you. Try "export SDL_VIDEODRIVER=dummy", it seems to route all output to nirvana.