VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I just saw the interview on Abandonia, great stuff!

Wow, dat was vast een lekkere dikke koe, dat je er een echte dos game machine van kon kopen 😉

Keep up the good work QBix and Harekiet!

Regards,

Ronald

Reply 3 of 15, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
rcblanke wrote:

Wow, dat was vast een lekkere dikke koe, dat je er een echte dos game machine van kon kopen 😉

Yeah. Herman it was called.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 7 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Q*bert!!! I remember that - and the Spat! sound he made when he missed a square and landed somewhere deep, deep down.

I had it on my Amstrad CPC-464 on a glorius green/black monochrome monitor. I hand-typed it in from a magazine.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 9 of 15, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

Hand-typed what in? The source code?

Yeah 😀 It was common back in the 80s that the source code of software were in magazine.

Got a lot of simple C64 games that way. And I usually enjoyed reading the 5-10 pages of source code.

Reply 10 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah I learned how to program by typing BASIC games from Creative Computing books and magazines into my dad's Heathkit H89, Wyse 286, and Tandy/Radio Shack Color Computer 2. I'm just surprised that Q*Bert was ever published that way, as I thought it was a commercial game.

Reply 12 of 15, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
HunterZ wrote:

Hand-typed what in? The source code?

Or just a long list of hexadecimal numbers, being the program code itself...

JAL

Reply 14 of 15, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

IIRC the program listings in Amstrad Action (?) magazine consisted of a very short BASIC program (10-15 lines) plus many, many lines of DATA statements with 8-10 pieces of data on each line. The BASIC program read the DATA entries, converted it to machine code while simultanous calculating a running checksum. At fixed intervals in the DATA statements, one of the numbers respresented the correct checksum, so the BASIC program would alert you if you made an error during entry.

Last edited by MiniMax on 2005-05-13, 20:47. Edited 2 times in total.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 15 of 15, by jal

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
MiniMax wrote:

IIRC the program listings in Amstrad Action (?) magazine consisted of a very short BASIC program (10-15 lines) plus many, many lines of DATA statements with 8-10 pieces of data on each line. (...)

Yeah, that's what I mean, although the BASIC program doesn't convert anything to machine code, the DATA-statement are the machine code itself, being POKEd into RAM by the BASIC program.

JAL