VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by jwrichards

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

First off....Cool work guys, especially mirekluza for his guide on virtual drives. I have a 2.0 Ghz machine with XP pro, and Dosbox .63....uhm...CVS actually, and I am able to play my old games again. Reason I use dosbox? I found an old box in my trunk filled with old games. I used VirtualPC and installed DOS and a few of my games....now I have a problem.
All is working okay, HIMEM is now working since I turned off XMS and EMS support, and now, I need a mouse........... Earth2140 wont run without it. I try and run the mouse driver I have and it wont work.... So...as before, is there a way to turn off mouse support? I surfed through 32 pages of my query and still noa nswer....I got impatient 😉
Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
As always, I do apologize for asking a q question that may already have been covered...I just couldn't find it.

oh...one mroe thing...I'M NEW HERE!!! Hi all!

#EDIT

Ok, nevermind, after searching more, I found a response to someone else...and that was to recompile the source.....do you think if I were real careful, being a beginner, do you think I could do it?? Don't have a whole lot of programming experience...maybe if someone could nudge me with a step by step guide?? A little one would suffice. I can read 😁

uhmmm......only 640k, huh?

Reply 1 of 12, by jwrichards

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jwrichards wrote:
First off....Cool work guys, especially mirekluza for his guide on virtual drives. I have a 2.0 Ghz machine with XP pro, and Do […]
Show full quote

First off....Cool work guys, especially mirekluza for his guide on virtual drives. I have a 2.0 Ghz machine with XP pro, and Dosbox .63....uhm...CVS actually, and I am able to play my old games again. Reason I use dosbox? I found an old box in my trunk filled with old games. I used VirtualPC and installed DOS and a few of my games....now I have a problem.
All is working okay, HIMEM is now working since I turned off XMS and EMS support, and now, I need a mouse........... Earth2140 wont run without it. I try and run the mouse driver I have and it wont work.... So...as before, is there a way to turn off mouse support? I surfed through 32 pages of my query and still noa nswer....I got impatient 😉
Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
As always, I do apologize for asking a q question that may already have been covered...I just couldn't find it.

oh...one mroe thing...I'M NEW HERE!!! Hi all!

#EDIT

Ok, nevermind, after searching more, I found a response to someone else...and that was to recompile the source.....do you think if I were real careful, being a beginner, do you think I could do it?? Don't have a whole lot of programming experience...maybe if someone could nudge me with a step by step guide?? A little one would suffice. I can read 😁

##EDIT

Okay, again, I searched mroe and ofund advice....if you guys have anything, let me know 😀 Next time I think I'll search thouroughly. 😁

Reply 3 of 12, by jwrichards

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

what, what? Why do you need VirtualPC? DOSBox already has an internal mouse driver...

uhmmm...hmmm... Well, I found it easy to use Virtual PC to install MS-DOS and the few games I've tried...some that didn't work before using VPC, work now. The only problem I'm seeing is mouse support when the drive image I mount is booted and the mouse driver looks for the mouse and can't find it. I thought by finding out how to get rid of mouse support, I could get the mouse driver to work...the same with how HIMEM couldn't find either XMS or EMS....I fiddled with the confg file and presto, with XMS and EMS at false, HIMEM now finds what it needs....now if I could only get the mouse to do it...

And no, I'll still use DosBox....VPC has speed issues that I haven't found a way to fix.

Reply 4 of 12, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If I understand correctly you're using DOSBox by booting MS-DOS image? Why don't you just use DOSBox without booting an image? Unlike VPC, DOSBox does not require another operating system although it supports it.

Reply 5 of 12, by jwrichards

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know it doesn't. I saw it could be done, I tried it, and voila, a non working game in vanilla dosbox, is a working game. I thought I'd keep going with it and make a couple other games that don't work, work.
I did look to see if someone had a fix for it, or a trick, an example here, Earth 2140 does not work at all with dosbox...but the difference here...I could atleast get the setup to start with a MS-DOS hdd image. If I can get that close, there has to be an answer somewhere

Also, to get these games to work, I don't want to have to go through the pain of setting upa d ual boot system, and redownload all the fixes for XP pro...mine as a fresh install is before SP1...I spend atleast 6 hours dling and installing the updates. So I look for a different solution.

Reply 6 of 12, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ah! Now I get it 😁. Well...I guess it'd be better to post a bugreport of a non-working game in the games/apps section and hope for a fix 😀. As far as the mouse driver is concerned, I'm not sure if it can be done easily but I'll let someone else answer that...if you can modify the source compiling shouldn't be difficult. There's a step-by-step guide in the DOSBox wiki

Reply 7 of 12, by jwrichards

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just tried the wiki.......got everything installed, got my thinking cap on how to navigate directories in a *nix environ.....and that's it. When I try to run the make command, it keeps throwing garbage at me......at the same time I'm surfing through the forums here, I'm reading up on the beginning stuff of c++ programming.....
You can learn c++ in 24 hours, and then forget how just as quick 😁

Reply 8 of 12, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's kind of a pain in the ass to set up MinGW/MSYS to compile DOSBox. You need both the SDL source code built and installed (via "make install") and the DirectX headers and libraries installed before you can build the DOSBox source.

Reply 9 of 12, by jwrichards

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

heh. So much for the wiki saying to just copy some of those things.....maybe I could get someone else to do it for me 😉 ???
I tried recompiling the CVS build....I wanted to keep the functionality I had, and just knock off the mouse, but oh well. Maybe some other time after I finish reading up on c++ again. oh well. I haven't given up. I've only gone home 😁

Reply 10 of 12, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

SDL 1.2.8 should be sufficient if you don't include Moe's OpenGL patches. And you can get an already compiled 1.2.8 devpack for mingw (you just unpack the tar.gz and type make mingw I believe) on sdl page.