VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Scripts

User metadata

I'a trying to run King's Quest 6 on my Win 2K Laptop and My XP Desktop. I Always get the same message "This program requires Microsoft Windows". Please Help.

Reply 1 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds like you're trying to run a Windows program in DOSBox, which is not possible unless you want to try to get Windows 3.1 working inside of DOSBox. You'll want to either run the DOS version (if it exists) in DOSBox, or run the Windows version directly in Windows.

Reply 2 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

We might want to change the error message to something more obvious. I guess people are getting confused because they think that they are already in Windows....not realizing what DosBox actually does. We've gotten WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYY to many questions like this one.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, I agree that something needs to be done somewhere, as this question is indeed being asked a lot lately.

I think the error message comes from the executable and not the OS (i.e. DOSBox) though.

Reply 4 of 10, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, your right. If you open the .exe up with hexedit or the like the actual text is in there: "This program requires Microsoft Windows".

Could probably have DosBox detect PE executables and spit out a message tho.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 9 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, I believe I have a Windows 3.1 version that was the first CD-ROM game that I ever played on a PC. Both versions may be on the CD, but they'll have separate install programs.

Reply 10 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The floppy version of KQ6 was DOS only, the CD version had both DOS and 16 bit Windows versions and speech. The Windows version also had higher resolution graphics.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers