VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Aceuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

as u can tell im a trek fan>i brought myself star trek 25 anniversary game it installed the game .but wont play i tryed in dosbox dosbox it is not regonizing my cd drive again .its eigher asking to free up some space for it to run .

this game is a dos game

Reply 2 of 33, by Aceuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

please incorrect please if im wrong .im pretty sure that i done correct by mounting it here as follows

mount c c:\
mount d D:\ t cdrom usecd ioct{
d:
dir
then it bring up menue then i type in commands for the game

c:
cd\trekcd
trekcd startrek

then it gose into where it says dont regonizes cd devive .iv also tryed the c: promt commands in accesary from start. when i install from there it tells me that i need to free some space it tells u in the maual about the error .it also tell u to type in chkdsk.it cycled through something it didnt get very far it was chenking data base on computer but it came to an stop

Reply 3 of 33, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

wow, that's not just wrong, that's painfully wrong. Seriously dude, you need to pay attention to what's written in the README, or even bother reading the stuff IN THE PROGRAM.

TYPE THIS IN DOSBOX RIGHT NOW: "intro cdrom"

mount d D:\ -t cdrom -ioctl

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 33, by Guest

User metadata

ok, lets do this step by step...

1. mount some directory as c-drive (of course, one with some free space)
mount c c:\whatever\

2. mount the cd (if d:\ is your cdrom-drive)
mount d d:\ -t cdrom -ioctl

3. install the game
d:
"setup" or "install" in most cases
follow procedures, install somewhere on c-drive, e.g. C:\trek\

4. go to the directory where you installed it
c:
cd trek
start the game with the appropriate comand aybe "startrek" or "trekcd"

Reply 6 of 33, by Aceuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i did a different way i typed in .

mount c c:\ then enter it says u can proceed to

c: then enter i typed in

dir it came up with list

then i typed in the location for where my game is which is this

c: then enter

cd\trekcd then enter

startrek

it still saying it cant find no cd drive detected. it comes up with this mscdex.exe i tryed loads of ways of doing it it still comes up the same please can someone type in here the exact wording to get game working i be very greatfull

Reply 7 of 33, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dude, if you aren't going listen to what people tell you to do, there's no reason for this thread to continue to go on. We've already written about 5 times now how to mount a CD drive, and if you aren't going to pay attention you need to either stop asking or use a front-end.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 8 of 33, by Aceuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

your so nasty attitude !i have been listening to people i done everything what i read like i said my reading is not understanding is not 100 per cent but if u are going to kick me of forum then u arent good people in helpng people who are need of help.1

Reply 9 of 33, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No, you're not doing everything. You skipped the step about mounting the CD-ROM before running the game, as Snover pointed out several times.

This is painful to read.

Reply 10 of 33, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Let's try it one more time (T.G. for QuickNote):

1. Create a directory for your game, e.g. "C:\DOSBox stuff\Trek". Do this outside of DOSBox.
  2. Insert CD in drive.
  3. Start DOSBox.
  4. In DOSBox, mount up DOSBox's drive C: and D:

Z:>mount C "C:\DOSBox stuff\Trek"
    Z:>mount D "D:\" -t cdrom -ioctl

(assuming that D:\ is your real CD/DVD drive)
  5. Install the game from D: to C:

Z:>D:
    D:>install

(or "setup", or whatever the command to start the installation is called. Check your Manual/Installation Guide for StarTrek for the exact command to use)
  6. Configure sound, configure graphics, ...

(when you configure sound and are asked about stuff like IO/IRQ/DMA/High DMA addresses, please verify that you use the same values as listed in "%ProgramFiles%\DOSBox-0.63\dosbox.conf")
  7. Start game.

D:>C:
    C:>dir
    C:>trek

(or "run", or "play" or whatever the command to start the game is called. Check your Manual/Installation Guide for StarTrek for the exact command to use)

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 11 of 33, by Aceuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK IM GETING SOMEWAY

i put in this in intro cdrom ,mount c"c then enter it said this

mount c c:\ windows mounts windows directory as the c drive in dosbox
Thn i put mount d D:\ t cdrom usecd ioct{

it said this drive d is mounted as local directory D:\ then i put

d: then enter

then i put dir entered

i found the installer there was install exe it went though some installing process then it said invalid directory name which was c

but i shouldnt have to install any way because the game is already installed in c directory

but i did your way too mini max

mount c "c:\ then entered it said mount c is installed in dosbox

then for D"D:\"-t cdrom-"iocl
but it said it installed c again but d:

Ace im listening and learning

Reply 14 of 33, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Aceuk, it would really help us all, if you could make sure that the DOSBox commands you enter are copied correctly to and from your posts. If you make a mistake in a post, please use the little round edit-symbol in the top-right corner of your post.

It looks like this: edit.png

Click on it, and you can fix any spelling error in your post 😀

Also, you can save yourself a lot of typing problems when you work with DOSBox, if you can find your dosbox.conf file (it should be in your C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.63 directory). Open dosbox.conf with Notepad and go to the bottom of dosbox.conf.

Do you see the section named [ autoexec ] ?

Put all your mount commands in there, and DOSBox will automatically execute them when your start DOSBox. Like this:

[autoexec]
mount C "C:\"
mount D "D:\" -t cdrom -ioctl

D:
dir

Reply 15 of 33, by Aceuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks mini max and everybody who has been paitcent with me, ok i found the autoexe in notpad i copy your commands in there under autoexe like u said minimax .

and that has fixed the installments nessary to get games working in dosbox . the games that im trying to play of star trek i,a final unity when i go and install the game it gose throgh progress installing checking data requiirment but for some reason it locks i tryed some of the cycle cpu things and framwork thing but still locks

the other game is 25 anniversary when i go and install that from d it goes through the process of installing then it stops saying invalid directory name like i mentioned before is there a way to fix this problem.

im geting there paifully 😏

Reply 16 of 33, by Aceuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just wondered does anyone here like star trek games .i was wondering if anybody got any of i mentioned like 25 annivesary and star trek a final unity u certainly wont be disapointed in playing these old dos games

i just asking if u got any or them u can buy they and try and play them with dosbox and i was hoping if u can post the commands to me but i have manuals for the installer but i just dont know why i cant get them working .

to buy these games u need togo to ebay or amazon

Reply 17 of 33, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

yup...I'm a big startrek fan, I think I own almost all startrek games including a final unity and 25th anniversary. There's nothing special required by these games, I got them working in dosbox without problems.

Reply 18 of 33, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank
Aceuk wrote:

<snip> when i go and install the game it gose throgh progress installing checking data requiirment but for some reason it locks i tryed some of the cycle cpu things and framwork thing but still locks

During the install, do you have any option for configuring sound? As a test, try to configure the game with NO sound.

Something else: Edit dosbox.conf, and try a different CPU core (as standard, the line reads core=normal). Try simple, full or even dynamic.

Reply 19 of 33, by Aceuk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

man im so jelous that u got those games working on dosbox why cant i get them to work

but nobody has answeared my questioned about when it ask me to intsall 25th anniversary, it gose through installing process .but it comes to an hult saying invalid directory name . which was c where do i go from there.u should be able to anwsear this gulikoza. all the coponants are installed like mscdex and c is mounted as directory

but i didnt fully understand what u were trying to say to me minimax

Sorry to be a pain on these subjects