VOGONS

Common searches

NTVDM Error

Topic actions

First post, by Guest

User metadata

I am unable to install DosBox due to a NTVDM CPU error (running Windows XP). Any idea how to fix this?

Reply 2 of 15, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why would the installer be using NTVDM? Is the installer a 16 bit installer? This would cause problems for people with 64 bit Windows. Maybe a ZIP could be put on the download page, too.

Reply 5 of 15, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also, if you do not have a config.nt and/or autoexec.nt there are usually copies located at the \WINDOWS\REPAIR folder.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 7 of 15, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I would check you machine for spyware/malware/viruses just to be on the safe side. Besides, if you are using Internet Explorer I will quit using it NOW. Get a real browser like Mozilla 1.7.7, FireFox 1.04 or Opera 8.0 - They are all quite good and WAY MUCH BETTER than IE as far security, speed and easy of use are concerned.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 8 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mozilla 1.7.8 is out. I'll be using Mozilla until either A) Firefox gets rid of that damn annoying download manager thing and lets me use IE/Mozilla style per-file status windows, or B) Mozilla gets too dilapidated to use.

I would recommend Spybot and CCleaner for cleaning spyware and registry corruption.

Reply 9 of 15, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A) is already in Mozilla and set as default.
If you don't like it, there are extensions that will cure most of what ails you. (I use Download Statusbar personally). I don't like the Download Manager much, either, but considering the other enhancements that Firefox does have, I'll take it. 😀

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 10 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I know A) is in Mozilla. That's why I use Mozilla. I've used Mozilla ever since you talked me into it a couple years ago 😜

I use Firefox at work though, as I use Outlook for all my mail type stuff (have to use Exchange servers and token encryption)

Reply 12 of 15, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

user222,
thanks for restating what I already said above. 😀

HunterZ,
I meant, Mozilla has the download manager, too. There are no more plans to release more major releases of Mozilla Suite from MoFo after 1.8.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 13 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Snover: I know, that's why I made the comment about Mozilla becoming dilapidated. As for it containing a download manager: I can (and have) turn it off, which doesn't seem to be possible in Firefox 😠

Reply 14 of 15, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

HunterZ, you can alter the behavior of the download manager from the config file. Just type in about:config in the address bar and look for "browser.download.manager..." entries to change values. This bugged me, too, until I configured it.

Reply 15 of 15, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay, I think I might be able to live with it if I set it to ask me where to save the file each time and to clear itself out whenever I exit Firefox. I'll have to play with Thunderbird next to see if it's at least as good as Mozilla Mail for mail, news, and Forumzilla.

I think I'm done hijacking this thread now. I guess the original poster got his problem solved though...