VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Politron

User metadata

Hi!

I'm trying to use a program to record 3.5" HD diskette images with teledisk, a DOS floppy image reader-writer. When I mount my floppy drive using "mount a a:\ -t floppy" the program recognizes my floppy drive as a 5.25" low density one, and I cant record any disk images that I have since many years ago and I have got too many ones to transform them to another program. 😠

Any idea to mount the drive as a 3.5" HD drive?

Thanks and greetings.

Reply 2 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Is a floppy inserted at the moment of mounting the drive? I think the behaviour might be slightly different. Not sure at all though.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 6, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I recall to have read another thread about Teledisk not behaving properly under DOSBox. You could try the -ioctl option. 😎

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 5 of 6, by Walter Dnes

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Politron wrote:
Hi! I'm trying to use a program to record 3.5" HD diskette images with teledisk, a DOS floppy image reader-writer. [...deletia. […]
Show full quote

Hi!
I'm trying to use a program to record 3.5" HD diskette images with teledisk, a DOS floppy image reader-writer.
[...deletia...]
Any idea to mount the drive as a 3.5" HD drive?

Disk-image copying is something you should be doing in your native OS. In DOS/Windows the command is "diskcopy". In unix/linux it's "dd". Is there any compelling reason to use teledisk?

Reply 6 of 6, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Walter Dnes wrote:

Disk-image copying is something you should be doing in your native OS. In DOS/Windows the command is "diskcopy". In unix/linux it's "dd". Is there any compelling reason to use teledisk?

In Unix/Linux, yes, it's dd. DOS/Windows, however, do not have the ability to copy disks to/from images without third-party utilities. All "diskcopy" does is copy one physical disk to another (no images).

Still not something he should be using DOSBox for, though. Try something like DiskImg, DiskWrite or a Win32 version of dd at http://unxutils.sourceforge.net/.

Politron: you probably don't need to "convert" the images to work with another program.