VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Sonny Bonds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all,

I am having issues with using my Roland MT-32 Sound Module with DOSBox.

I set my MIDI playback to MPU-401,hooked up my module to my joystick/MIDI port and opened DOSBox, played my game , but there are no MIDI messages being sent to my Module. Am I missing something?

Have others experienced this issue?

Any help would be most appreciated, as i have been trying to figure this out for months.

Thank you very much,

Dustin

Reply 1 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

- What OS are you using?
- Have you got other programs running natively in your OS to play music through the MT-32?

I've been thinking about buying an MT-32 and a Sound Canvas from eBay to use with DOSBox, so I'm curious to know how well it can work.

Reply 2 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

DOSBox .63 works beautifully with my MT-32. Let me suggest the obvious, are you sure you are going from the MIDI out of your sound card to the MIDI in of the MT-32? Do you have audio output of the MT-32 going back to the audio in of your sound card or an amplifier?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 10, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

He said he set his MIDI playback to MPU-401, though I suppose he might of meant in the DOSBox.conf file.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 6 of 10, by Sonny Bonds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
collector wrote:

He said he set his MIDI playback to MPU-401, though I suppose he might of meant in the DOSBox.conf file.

I set my MIDI playback to MPU-401 in the control panel of Windows XP. Do I need to change a setting in the DOSBox config file?

Reply 7 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What is the current setting? Also, what setting are you using in whatever game you're testing with?

Also, before you tackle DOSBox you should first try running dxdiag (start->run->dxdiag) and run a MIDI test on that "MPU-401" port and see if Windows itself works with your MT-32. Note that if it works, it will sound terrible because it's a General MIDI song.

Reply 8 of 10, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You don't have to configure anything in dosbox (default settings)

1. If you DON'T set mpu-401 in windows control panel (i.e. leave default driver), does the game play music?
If yes, problem is in windows or mpu-401. If no, problem is most likely in dosbox.
In the latter case, try lowering CPU cycles because some games send data too quickly to MPU-401 and dosbox doesn't check for buffer overflow.

2. Try also playing a midi file with media player while driver is set to mpu-401,
It should probably produce music on MT32(edit:I see HunterZ also suggested it)

Reply 9 of 10, by Sonny Bonds

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
HunterZ wrote:

What is the current setting? Also, what setting are you using in whatever game you're testing with?

Also, before you tackle DOSBox you should first try running dxdiag (start->run->dxdiag) and run a MIDI test on that "MPU-401" port and see if Windows itself works with your MT-32. Note that if it works, it will sound terrible because it's a General MIDI song.

The setting in DOSBox in set at default... I did the dxdiag test and I didn't hear music from my Module. So there is no connection being made from my computer to my MT-32. In the game I am trying to play (King's quest 6)
it says that I can use the Roland MT-32 feature. But no messages are sent to my module.

Reply 10 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes, it seems that there is either:
- a hardware problem, such as a connection problem between your sound card and MT-32 (maybe you connected to the wrong port on your PC or to the wrong port on your MT-32?), or
- a software problem, such as old sound card drivers

You'll definitely want to get that working before you throw DOSBox into the equation.

Also, KQ6 reports MT-32 as available because it sees DOSBox's emulated/virtual MPU-401 port. However, KQ6 doesn't actually know whether or not you have anything connected to that virtual MPU-401 port.