VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by fireproof

User metadata

First off, I wasn't sure which forum to put this under, because I don't know if it's a game or DOSBox-related problem.

Anyway, I was trying to install Kyrandia 3: Malcom's Revenge (circa 1996) onto my HP Pentium III laptop using DOSBox. Everything works fine as far as setting up the CD-ROM drive and whatnot. It even shows me the contents of the CD-ROM that the game is on. The problem happens when I try to install the game. To do this, I have to run the program on the CD called "INSTALL.EXE." and to do this, I type "install". Problem is, every time I do that, DOSBox just gives me a list of how every drive is mounted. I'm assuming that "install" is a special command for seeing where everything is mounted. Trouble is, it's also the name of the program I need to run in order to install this game. No one else seems to be having this problem. Am I doing something wrong?

Reply 1 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's totally weird because "mount" is the command that's supposed to do what you describe, and install isn't a DOSBox command.

What version of DOSBox are you using and where did you get it?

Reply 2 of 4, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you sure that it is not just the game's installer asking you what drive that you would like to install the game to?

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 3 of 4, by Guest

User metadata

I got this version of DOSBox from the DOSBOX website, and it was the newest one around Feburary when I got it.

After making that post, I found out about an hour later that the CD-ROM is scratched beyond use, so I can't play the game anyway unless I can find something/someplace that will repair it. I'm guessing now that the error happened because of the scratches.

-Fireproof

Reply 4 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

0.63 is the newest version.

Also, if the scratch isn't on the label side (i.e. if the silvery material is unscratched) and just the plastic layer is scratched, you can probably use polishing compound or a CD scratch repair kit.