VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by riantboy

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

HI ALL,i am using dosbox on my zaurus.It is a pda with linux os.And its os is PDAXROM,a rom based on X11.

But the emu speed is not fast enough.i used the config file to change the cycles and frameskip.i tried cycles=500,1000,2000,2500(default),5000.I found 1000 is better.But I know this is not the best:)AND I used frameskip=0,5,10,and so on,of course the bigger,the faster.

so i need your help that whick value of "cycles" is the best on my zaurus(with a intel xscale pxa255 400mhz)?

thanks very much:)

Reply 2 of 9, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The best cycle value is the one where the game runs fastest and sound still works fine. Nobody but yourselnf can find out the exact value. I'd expect perhaps 3000 cycles being the limit, depending on game. Enough for some really old games up to the Wing Commander (1/2) era, I guess. On an ARM CPU, be sure to try core=simple. And have a look at the wiki to optimize even more.

Reply 6 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yeah, "simple" isn't in 0.61. You need 0.63. If you find someone willing to compile then have 'em compile the latest CVS.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 9, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Heh. I tried to get it running on my Zaurus when I had it over a year ago. Nobody could get it to compile. Linux is so much fun, 🤣. We were having a really tough time with the crosscompiling libraries.

It's awesome that someone finally got it figured out! Let us know if you can run anything. Try some games from around '91 and earlier, like Lemmings and Arcticfox. Or maybe the Sierra adventures from around then (although there are far better Sierra interpreters which would run faster than DOSBOX)....

Reply 8 of 9, by C860 user

User metadata

I'm running DOSBOX v0.63 on a Zaurus C860 under stock Sharp ROM v1.40 hand converted to english.

The major problems that I have encountered are not speed but rather the inability of DOSBOX to pick up a great number of keystrokes. Most particuarly the colon ":" without which one can not change drives under DOS (of course).

On programs that use the mouse, the cursor appears significantly above the physical location of the stylus point. Making it impossible to reach lower parts of the display.

DOSBOX also seems to interact in some unusual ways with KeyHelper. Particularly in causing the key repeat function to quit even after exiting back to Qtopia.

There also are some major screen & display glitches when DOSBOX first begins to initiate.

These are more critical, IMHO than speed at this point.

If you need beta test, count me in!

Bob W
Miami FL

Reply 9 of 9, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

can you test any other SDL programs about the key problem

Futher does any key work at all. ?
The mouse is probably again an SDL problem for your hardware
(DOSBox gets keyinput and mouse input from sdl. )

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!