VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by WayneCa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using the current version of DOSBox (0.74-3). My .conf file only contains a path= statement because, for some reason, when I launch DOSBOX a C drive is getting mounted automatically. It's the correct folder, but I didn't type a mount command from the Z: prompt and there is no mount statement in the .conf file. How is this happening? Should it be happening? What can I do to remedy it since I have other projects and don't want that particular path to be drive C in every instance?

I have checked my system for multiple copies of the .conf file, but the only one that exists is the one in AppData\Local\DOSBox. There is a second one in a different folder in Documents, but that one isn't even being detected (the mount statement in that one is from my old computer and has a different user account name).

Here's a screenshot. I added a mount statement to the .conf file so you would see that there are 2 mounts happening. The second one is the one I don't know the origin of.

Attachments

• dosbox.png
    Filename
    dosbox.png
    File size
    18.15 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 8, by WayneCa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think I may have figured out what's happening. The batch file I am dropping on the DOSBox shortcut is located in the folder that is being mounted automatically by DOSBox. I think DOSBox looks at the folder the batch file is in as the "default" C drive and mounts it. Would that be correct?

Reply 2 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

When you launch DOSBox it will show the configuration loaded in the "DOSBox Status Window"

Don't drag batch files onto the DOSBox shortcut, that usage is only intended for very simple games.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 8, by WayneCa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote on 2022-09-19, 22:28:

When you launch DOSBox it will show the configuration loaded in the "DOSBox Status Window"

Don't drag batch files onto the DOSBox shortcut, that usage is only intended for very simple games.

Well, I have been doing this for some time. My batch files are very short:

@echo off
cd wlfsrc\WOLFSRC\
bc
@echo on

This has not been an issue before. I just didn't know why it was mounting a C drive when I didn't use a MOUNT command. Is there a specific reason for not using drag and drop to use a batch file? Is there another way that would achieve the same result? The above opens Borland with the Wolf3D project open and ready for me to work on it.

Reply 4 of 8, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can do whatever you want, that's the pain and beauty of the PC but if you do something against the intent then don't be surprised when you see odd results.
Configuration files and dosbox switches are expected to be used. For the people that's too difficult for then launchers are used.

For figuring out the issue:
Check the dosbox status window, check the contents of your batch file for multiple mounts, if you are using "call" in the batch file then check if there is another mount in that batch file that call is executing.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 8, by WayneCa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I know what the status window shows. I also know that using the config file is recommended. I also know that dropping a batch file onto the DOSBox shortcut doesn't break anything. And if you look above you will see that my batch files don't include any of the things you mentioned. In fact, I've been thinking about putting the path statement into the batch files so that I can specify different executable paths for different applications. I put it in the config file simply because all of the projects I'm working on at the moment involve the use of the Borland 3.1 compiler, so that's the path needed to execute the compiler from the prompt in DOSBox. And, if you noticed, I include the instruction bc in the batch file so it launches the compiler automatically.

The only thing I wasn't expecting was the mount command to be executed automatically just from the batch file being dropped on the DOSBox shortcut. It has been about a year since the last time I used this (on my old Windows 10 laptop), so I had forgotten things. I am starting to remember more now. As for using different custom config files, when the only thing different is the information included in the autoexec portion of the file it makes more sense to me to just use batch files. Then you are only dealing with one config file, and the batch files need only contain the necessary information to set the executable path, cd to the appropriate directory and launch the application specified.

Reply 7 of 8, by WayneCa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jmarsh wrote on 2022-09-19, 23:37:

If you launch DOSBox by dragging a file onto it, it does indeed automatically mount the directory that holds that file. Otherwise it wouldn't be able to execute it.

Now that makes sense, and I don't know why I didn't think of that myself. I guess it's just part of getting old. Thanks for giving me the answer I was looking for.

Reply 8 of 8, by Pierre32

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jmarsh wrote on 2022-09-19, 23:37:

If you launch DOSBox by dragging a file onto it, it does indeed automatically mount the directory that holds that file.

Well that's a TIL out of this thread for me! I do a lot of mount changing, so that's something I'll have to experiment with.