VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by i need help

User metadata

I am looking for a small tsr that will let me dump an application's memory to file. That application is an old game that runs in dos and i am using dos box to run it. Does dos box have a save state feature? if so how do i use it?...

thanks
-t

Reply 1 of 17, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No. It has been discussed zillions of times. And it's not an impending feature, at least for the foreseable future.
Keep in mind, implementing "save states" functionality is VERY DIFFICULT, for many reasons. I am not a developer so I cannot enlighten you more. 😁

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 17, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Do you actually need a save/load functionality (as you typed in the topic)
or just to dump the memory into a file (as you say in your posting)? None of
those is implemented in dosbox as is, but you could achieve the 2nd (mem
dumps) with a little programming.

wd

Reply 6 of 17, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

One of the obvious problems with save states is that the resulting file would be, relatively speaking, huge. Imagine not only having to save the register states of every emulated device but also the RAM of every device.

Reply 7 of 17, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This has already been extensively discussed in several other threads, although I can't resist mentioning that you'd also have to save the disk state for many games, which adds yet another level of complexity.

Reply 8 of 17, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

he's more refering to a memory dump

Well download the debug version of dosbox and read the guide in this forum.
there is some memory dump command in it

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 17, by Guest

User metadata

this has all been very useful and i am allowing myself to get my hopes up a little. what i actually need is not a save state feature. im not trying to simulate save game features for old games. what i need is simpler i think. i need to add a feature to dos box that will allow me to dump the memory allocated to the current running program to a file. that's all i need. i don't intend to use this information in any game later so i don't need the registers and disk states and whatnot. just the binary memory dump. i figure i can modify the source code to add this feature but i don't know where to start. any pointers?

Reply 11 of 17, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You should SEARCH the forum. Game Wizard Pro has been discussed before, if I am not mistaken.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)