VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by D-xiansheng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm using one of those Saturn->USB converters. DOSBox detects it fine but a lot of games don't respond to my gamepad (likely because they don't have gamepad support at all).

Is there any kind of old DOS tool or driver I could load within DOSBox to map my gamepad presses to keyboard entities? For example, having LEFT go to "A", RIGHT to "D", UP to "W" and DOWN to "X"? I'm looking to play some of my old Chinese games and that's the common keyboard map for directions, but I find it horridly inconvenient because of the angle the keys are on ...

Any help or ideas would be appreciated. I'm sure there has to be some kind of tool for it.

System Specs (hey, who knows what's relevant?):
Pentium M 760 at 2.00GHz, 533MHz FSB, 2MB L2 Cache
1GB 400MHz DDR2 RAM
ATI Radeon X600 128MB
Windows XP SP2
PS/SS/DC Joypad to USB BOX on a USB2.0 port

Oh, by the way, DOSBox does kick ass. I've been using it around a year now, though more since i got my new computer that can actually pull off full speed with it. The only games it seems to have problems with are the ones I'd expect it to -- poorly coded ones that explode on virtually everything but the specific DOS version they were made on (like Xuanyuan Sword 1 ...) So this is more of a, "Gee, it'd be nice if DOSBox did this too" rather than an "OMFG CANNOT MASH GAMEPAD DOSBOX IS TEH POS!" kind of question 😀

Reply 1 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well It's a wish for us as well.
we designed the kepmapper for that part. the joystick part is just not finished yet.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 4, by D-xiansheng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I was more asking is there an actual DOS TSR .COM file I could load up to make my directions and two buttons to key presses. I recall there being something like this a long time ago, and Death Adder at superfighter.com had mentioned Nokey or Joykey, but they seem to be long lost.

(The only match for Joykey is a windows based program which works in every application except DOSBox, in DOSBox it just makes endless "\" characters.)

Reply 4 of 4, by D-xiansheng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Works great, it even handles diagonals as extra presses. This is perfect for what I wanted to do and unlike the one I turned up, it's compatable with DOSBox.

Thanks!