VOGONS

Common searches

sound and speed problem

Topic actions

First post, by guest

User metadata

a yr ago, I was running dosbox and some old games...
seemed perfect.

however, I tried again recently, and the sound was kinda not continuous, and the speed seemed very slow, I tried ctrl-F12, it seemed even slower... anyone know what's wrong?

thanks!

Reply 3 of 20, by D-xiansheng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Open you dosbox.conf file in notepad and check out the [sdl] section. There's an option in it called "output=". Try out a few of the other renderer options (they're listed in a comment just above it). Type each in and save, one may perform better with your card.

Don't only use the CTRL+F12, try CTRL+F11 too. Sometimes lowering the cycles has actually speeded up the game for me because DOSBox emulated above what my PC could handle at default.

Lastly, type CTRL+ALT+DEL to bring up task manager and make sure there's no rogue applications running in the background munching all your CPU power. You may also want to run a spyware checker if you use Internet Explorer since those can bog down your machine in secret.

Best advice I can give, maybe some of the other users here will have more ideas for you. Your processor sounds plenty powerful.

Reply 11 of 20, by D-xiansheng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Guest: Which Taiwan game? I play a lot of the old Taiwan DOS games and noticed some serious lag in 神雕侠侣 (我只能写简体字,如果你只读繁体字必须用Firefox的同文堂看我写的字:()

Most run OK though. I have no stuttering in 轩辕剑二, 魔道子, 金庸快打, 格斗拳王 or 三国快打 even when I play them at 1024x768 with the new hq2x video filter from the CVS DOSBox.

Reply 12 of 20, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Totallty off-topic, but it's amusing: Your post renders here (West Europe) like "... noticed serious lag in <empty box><empty box><empty box><empty box><empty box><empty box><empty box> (<empty box><empty box><empty box> Firefox <empty box><empty box><empty box>)" 😉
I have never heard better textual representation of "I didn't understand anything at all, but I think he said 'Firefox' " 😀

Reply 15 of 20, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wehell, this is linux (of course 😉 ), and the selected font probably just doesn't have these characters. Even if it did, I couldn't read it aloud, let alone understand it. It's just funny how the boxes express exactly what I'd think if I saw the true characters: "Huh?" 😉

Reply 16 of 20, by D-xiansheng

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hrm ... do you have the proper i81n package installed? I used to use TurboLinux for Japanes and Chinese stuff before I had my laptop and it always showed both perfectly.

Maybe you need to do something with your UTF-8 mapping if you have the fonts installed?

Reply 17 of 20, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've got original windows fonts installed, which is probably the reason: Stock "Arial" doesn't have the characters, and I didn't bother to hunt down the unicode extended versions. I don't care, since I can't read it anyways. As long as I get a proper empty box (instead of character garbage, as it has been in the past), I'm happy 😉

Reply 19 of 20, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
`Moe` wrote:

Wehell, this is linux (of course 😉 ), and the selected font probably just doesn't have these characters. Even if it did, I couldn't read it aloud, let alone understand it. It's just funny how the boxes express exactly what I'd think if I saw the true characters: "Huh?" 😉

yeah, but characters compared to empty boxes can be translated with babblefish 😉