VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

First, I appologise if this is somewhere in the FAQ or in a big sticky thread or something. I had a look through them and couldnt find anything, but maybe Im just being a bit dense.

Anyway, as a big old school adventure games fan, I used DOSbox a bit in the past to get some of them to run but since SCUMMVM supports a lot of them now and Ive been rather busy with my stupid degree(!), I havent used it in a while. I just decided to try to get Gabriel Knight I running (always was a pain!) and the newest DOS box seems to be doing great!

So my little - and rather lazy - question is, is it possible to set up a shortcut, say on the windows desktop, that will run the game with DOS box in one click, and with its own config file? At the moment, I have to run DOSBox then cd into the right directory and type GKCD to run it. Also, I had to set up the config file so that the resolution and cycles are optimised for the game but if I want to use DOSbox for another game, i'll have to change the file each time to suit the specific game (or copy/paste versions of the file as I am doing). Can I do this more easily with DB, say by setting up a windows shortcut with certain command line details? I think SCUMMVM lets you do this and VDMsound lets you integrate with windows so you get a "run with VDMS" option when you right click a file.

Sorry if this is just me being lazy, but it would make playign with DB much more hassle free!

Reply 1 of 4, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well the readme has details on how to do this.
or you could use a frontend for dosbox.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 4, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

It is quite simple.

1. Create a directory for GameX.
  2. Create a minimal dosbox.conf for GameX in that directory.
    By minimal, I mean only the things that differ from the standard dosbox.conf, e.g. CPU cycles, scaler, autoexec, ...
  3. Create a shortcut to the DOSBox executable. Put it anywhere you like.
    Set the working directory for the shortcut to the same directory where the mini-dosbox.conf is stored.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 3 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

DOSBox also has a command line parameter for using a different config filename than dosbox.conf, so you could make a conf file for each game and specify in a shortcut which one to use.