VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kahenraz

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I was having trouble imaging a disk with WinImage, until it occurred to me that the issue might be some form of copy protection. The tracks that were unable to be copied didn't seem to contain any data related to the files on the disk, as I could ignore those tracks and the files on the image would diff correctly against what was on the disk.

I tried mounting the image in DOSBox and the software produced an error, indicative of copy protection. I also tried mounting the physical drive with:

MOUNT a a:\

I could run the software in this way the same as the image I had made, but the copy protection still failed. To confirm that the disk was good, I booted from a DOS floppy and confirmed that the software runs fine in native DOS with a physical disk.

It seems that mounting the physical floppy drive in DOSBox does not work the same as it would in real DOS. Is there a different image format other than the raw dump from WinImage that can provide a mountable file that would allow me to validate that I've imaged the disk correctly?

I also tried using VGA-Copy instead of WinImage. This did make an image that includes the copy protection; I verified this by writing it to another disk, but loading this image in DOSBox still triggers the copy protection.

20221031_002520.jpg
Filename
20221031_002520.jpg
File size
271.79 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0