VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by joe_pool_is

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

When I run DOSBox on my system, Windows XP throws up a console screen (command prompt). The descriptive title is "C:\Program Files\DOSBox\0.63\dosbox.exe" and it displays messages as the dosbox.exe program runs in a separate window.

Is there a way to turn off this console screen that XP uses? Maybe set it to "Hidden" somehow?

Wanted: Gasoline and matches.

Reply 1 of 5, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

In the readme
In the readme
There is some text that you must read
In the readme
In the readme
If you read this text then you'll no longer be perplexed
In the readme
In the readme

uhhhh, sorry about that. 😁

From README.TXT in DosBox directory

-noconsole (Windows Only)
Start dosbox without showing the console window. Output will
be redirected to stdout.txt and stderr.txt

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 2 of 5, by joe_pool_is

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, let's see here:

I created a batch file consisting of "dosbox.exe -noconsole", but then I had a console window titled "C:\WINDOWS\system32\cmd.exe" that spawned the dosbox program.

As an alternative, I opened the command prompt and manually executed the dosbox program, but I was still left with the original command prompt!

...at least these console screens can be closed, though!

Maybe what I want can't be done unless the code is modified to simply never show it. I'll try that route. Thanks.

Wanted: Gasoline and matches.

Reply 3 of 5, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

just create a shortcut to dosbox where you add the -noconsole setting
if you do it from a batfile it's logical that there is a console as it belongs to the batfile

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 5, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

C:> start /?

---->>>> /B

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 5 of 5, by Spinik

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Me for example, I've created a DOSBox shortcut on my desktop and in order to play a game I drag&drop its *.exe file on the shortcut. It suits me the best like this. But when I add "-noconsole" into the shortcut, the game doesn't start any more after being drag&dropped on the shortcut. It only shows DOSBox window with Z:\>. I can only wonder why is that?

So I think that in this case the "-noconsole" command doesn't work as presumed.

Nonetheless, it would be cool to play games in DOSBox via drag&drop way without the console shown.

Note: I run Windows XP Pro SP2 and the Target field in my original DOSBox shortcut looks like this: "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.63\dosbox.exe" -conf "C:\Program Files\DOSBox-0.63\dosbox.conf".