VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Guest

User metadata

Hi everyone, I am using and loving DOSBox 0.63, it works quite well for me most of the time... However, sometimes, for no apparent reason, DOSBox will suddenly start using 100% of my CPU; This is NOT game-specific, and it has nothing to do with CPU cycles. When this happens, I'll sometimes kick out to the command line, and CTRL-F11 until my cycles literally go down to 1, and task manager STILL shows that DOSBox is at 100% (or 90-something%) CPU utilization.

I've tried fiddling with some of the configuration settings, but I really don't think it's a configuration issue, because this doesn't happen to me most of the time; I haven't been able to identify any specific circumstances under which this happens, and nothing seems to help (yes, I've tried rebooting too), it just happens now and then, and a few days later I'll try again and suddenly the problem will have gone away.

Has anybody had similar experiences with DOSBox?

Reply 1 of 6, by Guest

User metadata

Heh... Life's funny sometimes. A few minutes after posting this topic, I did some cause-and-effect thinking to try and imagine what might have changed since DOSBox was working properly. The message in the status console about how it's using the joystick tipped me off: I'd added a new joystick.

Sure enough, after deleting the joystick in my gaming devices, DOSBox started working perfectly again.

So, the question has changed... It's no longer "What's making DOSBox use 100% of my CPU?"; now it's "Why does DOSBox suddenly use 100% of my CPU when I have a joystick in my gaming devices?"

Reply 2 of 6, by Pseudopode

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,
There is something important to say : cycles are not the only factor wich affects CPU usage, the game itself can also affect it.
When you play a game, CPU usage varies and sometimes can be very high : it depends on the game in fact.

Does this problem occurs when you play a game or when you get prompt ?

PS. Sorry for my poor english... 🙁