VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Is there a way I can use DOSBox to play MIDI files so that they sound like they would have circa 1993-95? You know, as if "Adlib" was the music choice chosen in the setup executables of most games?

If not, does anyone know of players that could do this?

Thanks,

Robert Aronson (Shoal)

Reply 1 of 17, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There were DOS MIDI players and sequencers back in the day (I used a sequencer called something like Voyetra Sound Sequencer Pro), so this is possible. The problem is that the OPL chips are programmable as far as instrument sounds, so many MIDI files ripped from games will sound at least slightly different (since those games program custom sounds into the OPL chip). General MIDI music should work fine though.

Reply 2 of 17, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've actually downloaded a number of DOS MIDI players and ran them through DOSBox. Problem is, even under "General MIDI" settings, MIDIs in them sound exactly like they do in Windows using WinAmp. In fact, changing the sound modules/definitions/samplers/rackmounts -- for example, to Roland -- doesn't do a thing. The MIDIs always sound like they do in Windows.

What on earth are the games doing that these players aren't? You mentioned something like OPL chips, but I have no idea what those are.

Thanks,

Robert Aronson (Shoal)

Reply 3 of 17, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You have to find a player that will play the midis using SB16 midi (OPL chips) not the General Midi since that is just forwarded to Windows. I had some success using Win31 inside dosbox with sb16 drivers and media player 😀

Reply 5 of 17, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That seems like a much harder, but possibly workable, solution.

OPL chips are the physical microchips on the Adlib/Soundblaster/whatever sound cards that make the music on those cards that you refer to as "Adlib".

Reply 7 of 17, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you do get that working, check out this page: http://www.midiox.com/?http://www.midiox.com/jsoft.htm

FM Synth, SBTimbre, and IBK Selections may be of interest to you.

Reply 10 of 17, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Okay, the only MIDI I've been able to play is "canyon.mid" that came with Windows 3.1. All other MIDIs throw a warning at me that they probably won't play correctly, and then I don't get any sound.

Thanks,

Robert Aronson (Shoal)

Reply 12 of 17, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Actually, that worked. All MIDI files now play. However, MIDIs ripped from games still give me a warning, and don't sound anything like they do in-game (although they also sound far different than as if played via WinAmp).

Thanks,

Robert Aronson (Shoal)

Reply 13 of 17, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool. One thing about that driver is that it can load custom instrument definitions from IBK/BNK files into the virtual hardware, so if you can rip those from games then it would make it sound the same.

Reply 15 of 17, by Shoal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dude, if this works, you are the man.

UPDATE:

I can't win... the MID files sound much closer to the in-game original, but still not on the money. Plus, there are playback errors here and there. I used many different MID files both old and new and tried all different Sound Blaster versions offered by DOSBox.

Thanks for the effort anyway.

Reply 16 of 17, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The thread's title should be rewritten to something more comprehensive, such as, "Playing MIDI music files using AD-LIB card". That's my opinion, though.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)