VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i've tried everything and am at a loss. here's my problem: i have successfully installed drivers for an opti 82c930 (obtained from vogonsdrivers) under both xp sp3 and win98se and both instances exhibit the same behavior in dosbox v.74-3. i can play wav and midi files in windows with no problem, but when i try to playback digital audio in dosbox all i get is a garbled, stuttering mess. the soundcard has onboard wavetable and when i playback midi thru dosbox's mpu-401 interface everything works beautifully.

the card performs just fine under dos in sbpro, wss, opl3 and mpu-401 modes. i didn't have to reserve any irq/dma's in the bios to get things working, but i went ahead and did so anyway during my troubleshooting steps. under windows i've reserved resources for the opti930 device and let windows automatically assign resources with no change in behavior. directx 9c is up to date and the system passes all the tests in dxdiag.

i've tried the dosbox-x and built-in mt-32 branches as well as the plain vanilla releases on sourceforge. the result is the same for all. is there something else i can try?

Motherboard: iwill kk266-r plus
Processor type and speed: athlon xp 2100+
Amount and type of RAM: 1.5gb pc-133 sdram
Video board w/ RAM amount and type: radeon 9800se 128mb
Sound board: opti 82c930, opl3, qs700
Operating system: xp sp3, win98se

Reply 1 of 2, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ok, so i resolved this issue for myself. increasing the mixer buffer in dosbox.conf from 1024 to 4096 ungarbled everything. i'm surprised this question sat so long given how many non-pnp isa soundcards without accelerated directsound compliant drivers are floating around here.

Reply 2 of 2, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
stanwebber wrote on 2023-01-01, 22:32:

ok, so i resolved this issue for myself. increasing the mixer buffer in dosbox.conf from 1024 to 4096 ungarbled everything. i'm surprised this question sat so long given how many non-pnp isa soundcards without accelerated directsound compliant drivers are floating around here.

Glad you got the issue resolved.

My guess is that there probably are relatively few people these days who actually use DOSBox on a system that is old enough to have ISA slots while still being fast enough to be worth running DOSBox on in the first place. Also, as using an ISA sound card with DOSBox provides no real advantage for outputting PCM versus using a PCI sound card in system where both are available options.