VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am asking this because i am unable to run DOSBox 0.63 running any of the OpenGL modes on my ATi Radeon card. It just opens and closes. Any other rendering output modes work flawlessly.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 1 of 42, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OpenGL on ATI is supported better than ever before *cough*

No seriously, it always worked for me (mobility 9700), even before I began meddling with that code.

Reply 2 of 42, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Last time I tried Opengl mode on my x800 it looked like it was using software opengl. To verify I removed my OGL ICD and yep...it was. heh. I'll check out Moe's ver and see what that does.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 42, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe I should try a different SDL.DLL version. Anyway, DOSBox is running quite happy using OVERLAY on my ATi card.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 4 of 42, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The funny thing is, SDL seems completely incapable of using real hardware overlays as well (on my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro at least). I asked about this on the SDL newsgroup and they just sort of shrugged.

Reply 5 of 42, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The funny thing is, SDL seems completely incapable of using real hardware overlays as well (on my ATI Radeon 9800 Pro at least). I asked about this on the SDL newsgroup and they just sort of shrugged.

Heh, I didn't know anything about that but I wouldn't be surprised. Anyway, DOSBox is working fine for me. It's was just some sort of technical query. Thank you all for your replies.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 6 of 42, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Isn't there another patch for sdl that enables true hardware overlays? #define USE_DIRECTX_OVERLAY is commented out in SDL_dx5yuv.c. I'm remember somebody posting this a while ago...uncommenting that define made overlay be on top of all windows (even if dosbox was in the background) which suggests true hardware overlay...although I didn't like it at the time 😀

Reply 7 of 42, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought of that but did some tests and concluded that it still wasn't using hardware overlays. The way I was able to tell was by spanning the window across my two montiors; with hardware overlays, half of the window is black, but with DOSBox I could see the whole thing.

Reply 8 of 42, by Guest

User metadata

I've a rather different issue here. DOSBOX 0.63 was working fine untill I swaped my video adaptor to this rare Nvidia one (PCI with 3D acceleration). I'm uncertain what it's made of but there are 2 ST Micro-electronics DSP handle the video. This card I bought long ago before Voodoo3 3000 released.

Guess the video chip isn't supported by DOSBOX, crushes on start.

Reply 9 of 42, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What OS are you running in? It's the compatability of the OS drivers for the card that are important, as DOSBox just uses SDL (or Direct3D if you're using gulikoza's D3D version, or OpenGL if you're using Moe's OpenGL-HQ stuff or output=opengl or output=openglnb).

Also, what is the model name of that nVidia card/chipset?

Reply 11 of 42, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Dosbox crashing on startup means (among other things) that your video mode could not be set. It's not so much a "dosbox support" issue, but limited hardware capabilities, like not enough memory on your card, or too high output resolution or somesuch.

Reply 12 of 42, by ZakMcKracken

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

My 0.63 build just freezes with this message in the console:
SDL:OPENGL:No support for texturesize of 1024, falling back to surface

and it doesn´t fall back , just locks up (Ctrl-F9 works though)

Thats strange having a Radeon9800pro with 2048x2048 texturelimit!
I can change settings all I want , opengl wont work , with 0.62 I get the fake opengl which is a lot slower than ddraw/surface by any means.
I come to think the slowest part of DosBox is the gfx library , because if it only renders the pixels , why is it that the different output modes have very much speed diferences between them (at times) ?

EDIT: just found out it completely crashes my opengl support in winXP !
No opengl app will start after dosbox was terminated, this is surely very forcefull implementation of opengl !
anyone has a personal build with working opengl he can vow for ?

Reply 13 of 42, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Try my Direct3D builds (see the patches section), D3D is better suited to run on Radeon class cards.
The error message would suggest somesort of driver problem. Are you sure you have latest drivers for your card and motherboard? DOSBox OpenGL runs fine here on 9800pro...

Reply 14 of 42, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1. Yes I already tried your CVS build. It works just fine using renderer=direct3d

2. Yes, I have latest Catalyst 5.6 - OpenGL renderer doesn't work yet (DOSBox 0.63)

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 15 of 42, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It must be some driver issue. My mobility radeon 9700 isn't even officially supported, but works flawlessly with all kinds of opengl (plain XP SP2). Perhaps tweaing catalyst settings has an effect?

Zak, if you can't get texturesize of 1024 as the message says, you're definitely not using the correct driver, probably just software rendering. There must be something b0rked that prevents your opengl driver from working.

Reply 16 of 42, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
`Moe` wrote:

It must be some driver issue. My mobility radeon 9700 isn't even officially supported, but works flawlessly with all kinds of opengl (plain XP SP2). Perhaps tweaing catalyst settings has an effect?

You are probably right. Weird thing is that OpenGL games work like a charm. 😕

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 17 of 42, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try resetting all your settings back to default, especially stuff like triple buffering and vsync.

Are you using any tweakers (Radlinker, Rage3DTweak, ATI Tray Tools)? Are you using the stock Catalysts or some custom version like Omega or NGO?

I get slower performance in DOSBox with OpenGL-HQ than without, but it seems to work. I do have trouble getting it to smooth game screens in SCUMMVM though (smooths the launcher screen just fine, but when the game starts it goes back to blocky unsmoothed graphics)

Reply 18 of 42, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I am using stock Catalyst 5.6 with no tweakers, but now I do remember to have enabled Triple Buffering. I will try resetting options to defaults when I arrive home. 😎

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)

Reply 19 of 42, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hunterz, OHQ must be slower than some simple opengl output, because it does a lot more work, and not all can be offloaded ot the GPU.

If you're getting no smoothing, turn off software scaling. Exult hides the "no scaling (1x)" option in the in-game options menu (the one you get when you're running around with the avatar and press ESC), not the options menu at the start.