VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by baalisto

User metadata

Hi
I have an two monitor system, the primary montor is a 17'' LCDisplay with 1280x1024 and the second is a 15'' LCDisplay with 1024x768, and i use WinXP as OS for DosBox 0.63.

My problem is that DosBox alway starts on my 17'' display (the primary) on wich it works great but my old games are just in a tiny window wich is to small and the fullscreen mode does not realy help because the monitor is so big (17'') and it isnt able to adjust the new resulution in a correct wise.

But the real problem is that, as i moved the DosBox window on my sceond screen (where the window is bigger and better for old games), the mouse began (after the dosbox-window was placed on the second screen) to move very slow and stuttering.
As i start one of my great working games, on the dosbox at the second screen, these game even runs slowly and stuttering (i hope someone understands what i mean).
But when i moved the dosbox window back to the primary screen everything works great again.

What can i do?
Is there a way to start dosbox direcetly on the second screen?
Or maybe a way to "open" the fullscreen dosbox on the second screen
Why is Dosbox running so slow on the second screen, what could be the reason?

Reply 1 of 3, by `Moe`

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Your second graphics card seems to be slower or lacking some capability, this is quite common for dual-headed setups. But don't despair, you have several options:

Generally, try various values for the "output=" option. That might fix your problem directly.

But to play on your 17" screen, you could set "fullfixed=true" and "fullresolution=1280x1024", then you get a nice fullscreen image. (again, play with "output=" settings for several variants)

When you have mastered that, look in the patches forum for nice addons to make scaled graphics look better 😉

Reply 2 of 3, by Guest

User metadata

Thanks for your answer.
Your tip with the "output=" option works great, i first tried overlay and ddraw but it didn't help (with overlay it was more bad than before, nothing visible at the 2nd screen)
but then i tried opengl and this works absolutely great (no stuttering and other probs), so thank you for this.

But i even tried to use the fullscreen on the primary screen so i set fullfixed=true and fullresolution=1280x1024,
this had the effect that the oldgame i tried had a smaller window with smaler but sharper pictures or grafic.
But in fullscreen mode the visible or game area stays as small as it was and the space between game area and screen border is just black.
Is there a way to scale this?