VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Haney88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,
I just downoaded Dosbox and have followed the instructions, but whenever I type anything with mount, like mount c c:\......anything, it says "doesn't exist". I am trying to get old games to work, but it won't recognize anything. Even the dosprog mount it says to use, doesn't work either. Does anyone know what's wrong or what I should do? Thanks.

Reply 1 of 7, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Avoid posting your queries to the end of long completely unrelated threads!
1. Do you have C: in Windows Explorer?
2. I hope you did not write: 'mount c c:\......anything' precisely as written!!!
3. What about mount c c:\

Mirek

Reply 2 of 7, by Haney88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for your suggestions, but last night I was trying again and I got a little further, for some reason the mount worked. Maybe I tried something different. But, I can't change the directory with the command "cd" blah blah. I used mount c C:\old games. Then changed Z: to C:. Now I can't get "cd advwilly" or 'cd willy" or cd indy to work. After that, I know I should use: willy.exe., but I can't get it to look like: "C:\advwilly> willy.exe. Does anyone know why it might not let me use the "cd" function. It says it doesn't exist.
In my files, I have "old games", inside which has indy and advwilly. Advwilly has all willy beamish files and the exe file. Any advice? I tried using the Indy game but that does'nt work either. Thanks.

Reply 3 of 7, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can't do "mount c c:\old games" because "old games" is an invalid directory name for DOS. It has 9 characters. DOS can only accept 8.3 character filename/directories.

So rename "old games" to "OldGames" and then do a "mount c c:\OldGames"

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 4 of 7, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also, once you change to the virtual C: drive, use the dir command to see what's there.

Last edited by HunterZ on 2005-06-27, 22:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 5 of 7, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Not the 9 characters are the problem here, the space is. If you have spaces in your path, you need to type

mount c "c:\old games"

(This way it is interpreted as:
command: mount
1st parameter: c
2nd parameter: c:\old games

If you type
mount c c:\old games
it will be:
command: mount
1st parameter: c
2nd parameter: c:\old
3rd parameter: games
which is wrong.)

Reply 6 of 7, by Haney88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried downloading D-fend. I have added into the dosbox folder. There aren't any instructions to use it though. How do I use D-fend? Also, in the directory in C:, I don't see anythying having anything to do with willy beamish. I am stuck. What should I do with D-fend. I even tried going into the config and (using notepad) doing the mount c c:\ oldgames, but I don't think it did anything. I am stuck and confused. Where or what should I do or go. Thanks.

Reply 7 of 7, by Haney88

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

While I can't get D-fend to work with DosBox, the list of add ons to slow a game down did work. Thank you to whoever gave me that list "Turbo" worked very well. My problem is solved. But, I was curious if someone could tell me how to use d-fend with Dosbox. Thanks.