VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by barfoot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been fooling around with DOSBox for about 6 months. It has been fun times mixed with failure and success and reliving some great memories. One thing that I've noticed that really seemed strange to me is how many of these games absolutly HATE fast computers.

Lets take a few examples:
Terminal Velocity. I freakin loved this game (and still do). I was excited that it ran so well in DOSBox and, with my recent computer upgrade, I couldn't wait to play that game with the Cycles cranked way up to see the game at its best. Boy was I dissapointed. It seems that the programmers didn't expect computers to EVER be able to render this game at greater than around 40 FPS. Once the game starts getting really fast it just total freaks out. The screen stutters like crazy and and all the timing is off (shots fire too fast or too slow, enemies don't move right, etc). This does not seem to be a DOSBox issue, its just how the game was made. I find it amazing that the developers seemed oblivious that comptuers were going to get faster.

How about Zone 66? Another great shooter. One thing that makes this game really good is the fantastic demo-style music. But wait folks! If your computer is too fast, you don't get music! Sure, you get sound effects, the game runs great, but no music. From what I can tell, this isn't a DOSBox issue either. I'm going to be researching this one some more to figure out what's going on. Did the developers think "Oh, in the future, when people have really fast computers, music won't be popular anymore". Really, how hard is it to play a MOD file? Not too hard, I've programmed a simple MOD player, it doesn't take much. Heck, even Impulse Tracker runs flawlessly in DOSBox.

What really gets me is in 15 or so years, are current games going to be having the same issues? Have developers changed their methods at all? Are today's programmers looking to future hardware as much as current technology? When I run Half Life 2 in 10 years and it starts running at like 1,000 FPS, is it going to freak out? I would hope not. Was the timer resolution so low back in the days of DOS programming that the games just couldn't deal with many updates per second? I doubt it. If I'm not mistaken, the timing in Windows is actually less accurate than in DOS.

Emulation always gets me thinking about the future. What will I be emulating 10, 15, or even 20 years from now? I can only imagine I'll be running some Windows emulator and then in that be running DOSBox. I just can't give up those classics, you know?

Reply 1 of 4, by Freddo

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
barfoot wrote:

What really gets me is in 15 or so years, are current games going to be having the same issues? Have developers changed their methods at all? Are today's programmers looking to future hardware as much as current technology? When I run Half Life 2 in 10 years and it starts running at like 1,000 FPS, is it going to freak out? I would hope not. Was the timer resolution so low back in the days of DOS programming that the games just couldn't deal with many updates per second? I doubt it. If I'm not mistaken, the timing in Windows is actually less accurate than in DOS.

I don't think so. Not if one have vsync on anyway.

Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine got the same problem when I re-played it last year. On the first level the graphics flickered and there was some general wierd behavior going on. And then a minute later it would crash. Then I noticed that I had Vsync off in the graphic card settings, and turned it on. After that the game ran perfectly as it was "locked" to a certain speed.

Another Lucasarts game, Grim Fandango had the same problem aswell. It would crash on computers faster than 400mhz. Fortunally, they released a patch for that.

Reply 2 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

An insightful post.

I think part of the problem is that most game developers don't expect their work to be relevant after 6 months (or maybe a couple years at the very most). This was especially true of small shareware developers back in the days of DOS.

Another problem was that there was no standard for doing things in DOS. This meant that for every one game that did things the right way, there were 5 that did that same thing incorrectly. Unfortunately in many cases it wasn't apparent until people tried to run those games years later.

Current era games will probably fare better as a whole over the next decade, as they are using APIs such as DirectX that have evolved over almost 10 years into a well-established standard. It depends heavily on thebackwards-compatability of future OSes and hardware, however (as we all know, 16-bit games are likely to become totally inaccessible soon except by way of emulation).

Reply 3 of 4, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
barfoot wrote:

I can only imagine I'll be running some Windows emulator and then in that be running DOSBox. I just can't give up those classics, you know?

Why so? DOSBox is written with portability in mind...whatever systems are popular in 10-15 years I'm sure DOSBox will run natively there 😁

Reply 4 of 4, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

This is why there should be a law that software should be Open Sourced if no $$ is made from the software after a # of years. It's already been shown that developers do not have the common sense/facilities to backup their software. Open Sourcing it and releasing it on the Internet is the only way to keep these programs alive.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline