User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

1. Create in the drive "C:\" director "DOS" and
copy old "DOS" game to this directory.

2. Run file "DOSBox.conf" and add
to the end "autoexec" file this strings:

[autoexec]
# Lines in this section will be run at startup.
mount C C:\DOS
C:
CLS

// Thats all. Enjoy! //
(only one file: VC.COM, size 60 kb, that can make all !!)
If somebody want - give me E-Mail and I send you.

Reply 1 of 4, by ThePerson98

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Eh, sometimes it takes a bit more than that. Example: Castles II, I spent about 30 minutes working on that. Since it didnt want to work with CD ROM

AMD Athlon XP 2500+
Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus
ATi Radeon 9800 256 MB
Maxtor 200 GB
Western Digital 40 GB
512 MB PC2700 DDR RAM

Reply 2 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There was a CD-ROM version of Castles II? I only ever played the floppy version, which had a ton of floppies due to those cool little movies that it plays during the game.

Reply 3 of 4, by Guest

User metadata

I just cannot figuire out how to run this program on XP. I dont even really know how to type in MSDOS, its very frustrating and all I want to do is relive my childhood by playing Transport Tycoon. I am sorry for the idiocracy being displayed but I seriously do need some help, spoon fed.

Reply 4 of 4, by barfoot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Anonymous wrote:

I just cannot figuire out how to run this program on XP. I dont even really know how to type in MSDOS, its very frustrating and all I want to do is relive my childhood by playing Transport Tycoon. I am sorry for the idiocracy being displayed but I seriously do need some help, spoon fed.

I'll see what I can do to get you started. I'll assume you know nothing or very little about computers. If I sound insulting in any of these steps, it is not my intention, I just want to make sure you don't have a "what the hell is he talking about?" moment.

1. If you are on your desktop (the screen you see when no programs are running) there should be a "My Computer" icon. If you do not see a "My Computer" icon on your desktop, you will most likely find it in your Start Menu. Find that Icon and click on it to open a window.

2. This window shows your disk drives in your computer. You will want to double click on "C:", your primary hard drive. You will be introduced to another window with some icons that look like folders. These folders help to organize the thousands of files that are on your hard drive so they are easier to find. You will want to make one of these called "DOS". To do this you will want to right click in any blank white area of this window. A small menu will appear, click on "New" and then "Folder". A new icon will appear with some text below it. Go ahead and type DOS in and hit Enter. You have now created a new folder.

3. You will now need to copy one or more DOS games into this folder. I'm not sure where yours are, be it on floppy disks or other parts of your hard drive. If you need assistance with this part, please post more information on the games you are trying to run.

4. Now you want to install DOSBox. It has a standard Windows installation, so that shouldn't be too tough. Just accept all the default options. If you already have DOSBox installed, go on to step 5.

5. Once DOSBox is installed, you will find a shortcut to it in your Start Menu. Click on that to begin running DOSBox.

6. You will be presented with a screen with big old-looking text on it and a strange prompt with a flashing cursor. This is where you can type in commands to make DOSBox do things you want. Typing in here would be no different than typing in Windows. You were able to type a message in this message board, so you should be fine.

7. You will first want to "mount" your DOS folder. This lets DOSBox read files from it. Without mounting, DOSBox has no idea where your games are. To mount type:
mount c c:\dos
right into your DOSBox screen. After it is typed in hit enter to send the command to DOSBox. After that type:
c:
to change to the new mounted directory.

8. This next part is a little tricky and you may have to do a little experimentation yourself. Assuming you put one or more DOS games in the DOS folder, you will need to change to the game's directory and then run the game.
To change directories, you use the command "cd". For example if you had a game called Space Quest in a directory called SQUEST you would type:
cd squest
to change to that folder. Your prompt will then look like C:\SQUEST\>

9. You then type what you would to run the game. This will depend on the game. In the above example the game may be SQUEST.EXE, so at the prompt you would type SQUEST and hit enter. This will obviously be different for whatever game you are trying to play.

10. Remember to hit ALT+Enter to play in Full Screen mode (like the good old days).

I hope this helps at least a little bit.

Edit: I realized there were two step 5's. Fixed.