VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by LokkenJP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Greetings.

I've installed DosBox to run a nice old strategy game, Ascendancy, that runs by default on SVGA resolution (640x480).

Unfortunately, that screen looks very small on my monitor, and setting a scaler in the options config file doesn't seem to be working.

I've tried to search the forum, but I've only got very old threads, and mentions to a yhkwong's DOSBOX build that enabled scalers on svga resolutions, but I've been unable to trace it, (and it was also a very old thread, so I guess that build might be outdated, if it still exixts).

Is there any way (on the default Dosbox 074-3 for windows build) of forcing a scaler to a SVGA game?

Thank you in advance!

Reply 2 of 9, by jmarsh

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

By default scalers are only used on low resolutions, add " forced" after the name for use with SVGA resolutions and up.
A better option might be to use a different output mode (opengl or directdraw) that uses gpu scaling.

Reply 3 of 9, by LokkenJP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feda wrote on 2023-02-07, 09:06:
Try these: fullscreen=true fullresolution=desktop aspect=true scaler=normal2x […]
Show full quote

Try these:
fullscreen=true
fullresolution=desktop
aspect=true
scaler=normal2x

Thanks, but this results in the game going into fullscreen, and I'd like to run it windowed, but at double its original resolution. Also, the scaler is ignored.

jmarsh wrote on 2023-02-07, 14:10:

By default scalers are only used on low resolutions, add " forced" after the name for use with SVGA resolutions and up.
A better option might be to use a different output mode (opengl or directdraw) that uses gpu scaling.

Unfortunately this does not work. I'm already using the ddraw output, and even then the game cannot be run at double it's original resolution. I've tried appending the "forced" param to the scaler, but it does nothing 🙁

Reply 4 of 9, by feda

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
LokkenJP wrote on 2023-02-08, 20:29:

Thanks, but this results in the game going into fullscreen, and I'd like to run it windowed

Oh, well why didn't you say so?
Try something like this:
fullscreen=false
windowresolution=1280x960
output=opengl
aspect=true

You should get acquainted with dosbox.conf, there are many options:
https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox.conf

Reply 6 of 9, by LokkenJP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feda wrote on 2023-02-09, 01:29:
Oh, well why didn't you say so? Try something like this: fullscreen=false windowresolution=1280x960 output=opengl aspect=true […]
Show full quote
LokkenJP wrote on 2023-02-08, 20:29:

Thanks, but this results in the game going into fullscreen, and I'd like to run it windowed

Oh, well why didn't you say so?
Try something like this:
fullscreen=false
windowresolution=1280x960
output=opengl
aspect=true

You should get acquainted with dosbox.conf, there are many options:
https://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Dosbox.conf

Thanks, I've already checked the conf file.

Those commands do indeed force the output window to a given resolution, but rely on the opengl output device to do the scaling, ignoring the embedded scalers present in dosbox which in some cases do a much better job, hence my original question, (If there is a way to use Dosbox scalers, in particular the 2xsai one which in my opinion gives really nice results, to work on SVGA games).

Reply 8 of 9, by LokkenJP

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
feda wrote on 2023-02-09, 17:08:

Try overlay or ddraw.

Using overlay or ddraw, (like using openglnb too), just make the window scale to the forced size by doubling pixel sizes directly, but without applying any scaler algorithm, which results in a blocky rendering.