VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by halfgaar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

I've been trying to play multiplayer games over a virtual modem with dosbox, but I don't understand how this works. There is practicly no docs on it.

When dialing out, how can I choose a different port than 23? I mean, when the computer I'm connecting to is listening on port 5000, how do I connect to that port 5000?

Also, the guide said that dialing like ATDT127000000001 is only in CVS, but that was more than a year ago. Is that supported by now? If not, how do I dial to an IP-address or hostname when the game in question only allows numbers in the phonenr field (warcraft to be precise)

A last note, I read in another post that version 0.63 has it's modem support completely messed up. Was this only his experience, or is this really the case?

Reply 1 of 10, by Zorix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

to use the virtual modem you will need to revert to version 0.61 or older. The virtual modem has been broken since 0.62 in favor of serial port code. Apparently there is no plan to fix it in the near future so its 0.61 or nothing. I keep 2 exe files for this purpose. To dial an ip address you must dial with ATDT and put the whole ip in without decimals and sinle digits must be padded with 00.

Reply 2 of 10, by halfgaar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

to use the virtual modem you will need to revert to version 0.61 or older. The virtual modem has been broken since 0.62 in favor of serial port code. Apparently there is no plan to fix it in the near future so its 0.61 or nothing.

Hmm, bummer. Why is that? I mean, the virtual modem doesn't have to do anything with real serial port access, does it? So can't they coexist?

To dial an ip address you must dial with ATDT and put the whole ip in without decimals and sinle digits must be padded with 00.

Does version 0.61 support that? In the guide it said that it was only supported by the CVS version. I don't know if version 0.61 was released long enough after the multiplayer guide to have this feature included.

Reply 4 of 10, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I hope this all gets sorted out in CVS before the next release (if it hasn't already), because there is obviously a lot of interest in both direct serial and virtual modem features in DOSBox.

Reply 5 of 10, by Zorix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

From what I gathered, virtual modem support seemed to be the lowest priority on the list. I have not tested CVS in a while, but last time it would hang in telix and modem games. I have confirmed that 0.61 does work however. I will check on latest cvs by AEP soon and let you know.

Reply 6 of 10, by Zorix

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Raw connections thru Telix does not work as I suspected. It does work in version 0.61 still. I don't expect it to be fixed anytime soon so as I said earlier, just keep 2 binaries and use 0.61 for your modem games/apps and the newest one for any game that doesnt work. I hope this helps.

Reply 7 of 10, by halfgaar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Keeping around two binaries goes against the version control of my package management system in my Linux distro. But, I could install 0.61 in my home dir of course.

Should I employ that sollution, I just hope that 0.62 and 0.63 don't contain vital solutions for bugs.

Reply 8 of 10, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

they do. but then again the cvs fixes an uncountable amount of bugs as well. (and probably introduces a few as well)

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 9 of 10, by pheller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone get anywhere on this?

I've built from CVS and it still seems to be broken.

Can't find a 0.61 binary around (for Mac OS X), and can't compile 0.61 due to some errors. (Note, if anyone has an OS X binary of 0.61, I'd love a URL...)

In my case, DOSBox opens the listen socket and accepts the connection.

Also, the COM Port structure in DOS seems to get established as terminal software can open the port.

However, the port is unresponsive to something as simple as "ATI", and nothing is passed between the port and the telnet client.

This software is incredible and much faster than the alternatives! Keep up the good work!

Regards,

--phil

Reply 10 of 10, by Guest

User metadata

temporarily resolved.

Reverted to gcc 3.3 (from 4.0), which eliminated the errors.

So now onto the new problems...

1) double echo -- (i.e., aatt from terminal emulator)
2) ate0 suppreses result codes, it should only instruct the modem not to echo back everything it hears (i.e., ate0 results in nothing received in response to "at". But, commands are still processed, since ate1 will revert)
3) Character mode. Seems that dosbox only reads lines of data from the socket, and not characters, where it actually sends to the socket by character.

Otherwise, this is great!

Telnetting into my old dos based BBS is really a hoot. With those aforementioned problems fixed, and an implementation of share.exe, I'll be one happy camper!

--phil