VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Lab

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm trying AITD (CD version) in DOSBox 0.63, on my AMD 3000, 2meg ram, RADEON 9800, WIN XP serv. pack 2, with onboard soundcard (Realtek AC97 Audio)

Read the help files, read a lot of forum threads, got answers from some poeple (thanx to all) and I still get this problem:

First, the game works perfectly (even with low CPU cycle), I hear the music perfectly, I even hear the sound effects perfectly BUT heres my problem: when the game "loads" the sounds effects (like the characters steps for exemple), for EACH steps, the character lagg for almost one second. So I got this character walking but "waiting" for a second before going further...

Now, is this a CPU/memory/my computer speed (though, I think my computer is quite a bomb) issue OR is it a "physical" soundcard/soundcard emulation issue, since it's lagging AND it has also something to do with "it happens when it load the sounds" ???????

I tried SOOO many different config (CPU cycle from 1000 to 30000, skip frames from 0 to 10, different memsize, oplrate, sb, sbpro1, sbpro2 etc...different blocksize, bla bla...) ....after which I never noticed ANY differences in the so called "lagging" I'm talking about.

Oh, and one last thing, my post subject refers also to this: in the dosbox .conf, I tried one last thing just a few minutes ago and was baffled: I've put

[midi]
mpu401=false
intelligent=true
device=none
config=

[soundblaster]
type=none
base=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=11025

[gus]
gus=false
rate=11025
base=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

can someone please explain to me how come I still hear music and sound effects after that!!!!!!!!

Help would be appreciated!
Thanx in advance!

a desperate futur "wants to play again AITD after 10 years of absence"

Lab

Reply 1 of 2, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm. You should try a floppy version for comparison.

Sometimes, CD versions are not that good.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 2 of 2, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Things to check:
- Is DOSBox actually using the dosbox.conf that you're making the changes to? An easy way to tell is to edit the number of cycles and then look at the title bar the next time you run AITD in DOSBox
- Did you run a sound config utility for the game? What settings did you choose?
- There are more sound-related settings in dosbox.conf than what you listed. Also, under [soundblaster], type=none but oplmode=auto will probably still emulate an Adlib card. Try oplmode=none.