VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by K.A.R.R.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

hello

i created a new driver package for the gravis ultrasound.
i know that Huggybaby created a package but he has not been online for several months
and the pre installed driver is offline so I have created a new package from scratch
to be sure that everything works.
my package includes the pre-installed drivers, as well as all the files to install the drivers yourself.

why do you need a driver?
the gravis ultrasound uses for the midi playback instruments (patches)
that are stored in the ram of the card and for these patches you need the ultrasnd folder.

the following files are in this package:
ULTRASND411.zip contains preinstalled gravis ultrasound driver 4.11 (latest version)
ULTRASNDPPL161.zip contains preinstalled gravis ultrasound driver 4.11 with pro patches lite 1.61
ULTRASNDPPL161FIX.zip contains preinstalled gravis ultrasound driver 4.11 with pro patches lite 1.61 and anti loop fix
gus411.zip contains gravis ultrasound driver 4.11
pplt_160.zip contains pro patches lite 1.60 from Eero Räsänen
pplt_161.zip contains pro patches lite update 1.61
PPL161PercFix.zip contains anti loop fix from user Tsyu for pro patches lite 1.61
autoexec.bat blank autoexec.bat
ULTRASND.INI corrected file for pro patches lite 1.61

now the explanation which files you need for which situation
if you use dosbox (standard,svn,x,ece,staging,...), pcem or a real dos system with a real gravis and want to use standard patches
unzip the ultrasnd folder from ULTRASND411.zip

if you use dosbox (standard,svn,x,ece,staging,...) or pcem and want to use pro patches lite 1.61
unzip the ultrasnd folder from ULTRASNDPPL161FIX.zip

if you use a real dos system with a real gus and want to use pro patches lite 1.61
unzip the ultrasnd folder from ULTRASNDPPL161.zip

(there is an unknown bug in dosbox and pcem when using the pro patches lite 1.61.
some instruments are incorrectly looped
the error does NOT occur with a real gus or Timidity++ and pro patches lite.)

thats it 😀

if u want to install the gus driver and the pro patches lite yourself i included the other files
and here is an instruction for it:

1. enable gus in dosbox and disable sb (gus = true, sbtype = none)
2. create a folder called "gravis" on your mounted c drive in dosbox
3. unzip the files from gus411.zip to the gravis folder
4. go to gravis folder and type install
5. install the gravis driver (in default ultrasnd folder)
6. after the driver has been installed and the gravis setup test tool starts press exit
(since dosbox takes care of the gravis card, testing and configuration is unnecessary)
7. gravis standard patches from 4.11 are now installed and you can delete the gravis folder

if you want to install the pro patches lite 1.61, continue with the following steps:

8. create a folder called "patches" on your mounted c drive in dosbox
9. unzip the files from pplt_160.zip to the patches folder
10. unzip the files from pplt_161.zip to the patches folder and overwrite the existing files
11. copy the ULTRASND.INI from my package to the patches folder
(the original ini file of the pro patches lite has an error:
all entries are set to e:\ultrasnd\midi instead of c:\ultrasnd\midi)
my ULTRASND.INI is set to c:\ultrasnd\midi
12. copy the blank autoexec.bat to your c:\ folder on your mounted c drive in dosbox
(the pro patches lite installer requires a real autoexec.bat file
13. go to the patches folder and type install
14. press y and the patches will be installed
15. when the program says the computer can be rebooted quit dosbox
16. if you use dosbox or pcem unzip PPL161PercFix.zip to your ultrasnd/midi folder and overwrite the 3 patches
17. pro patches lite 1.61 are now installed and you can delete the patches folder, the autoexec.bat and the autoexec.ppl backup file
18. done 😀

I tried my best to explain the steps 😀

https://www.mediafire.com/file/7mklx4c9rhnxcc … asound.zip/file

Reply 1 of 2, by Rincewind42

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thank you very much for your efforts! I have uploaded a mirror of your ZIP package to archive.org, along with your excellent setup instructions. The more copies and mirrors we have of good resources like this, the better!

https://archive.org/details/GravisUltrasoundDOSDriverPackage

DOS: Soyo SY-5TF, MMX 200, 128MB, S3 Virge DX, ESS 1868F, AWE32, QWave, S2, McFly, SC-55, MU80, MP32L
Win98: Gigabyte K8VM800M, Athlon64 3200+, 512MB, Matrox G400, SB Live
WinXP: Gigabyte P31-DS3L, C2D 2.33 GHz, 2GB, GT 430, Audigy 4

Reply 2 of 2, by K.A.R.R.

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Rincewind42 wrote on 2023-06-21, 23:42:

Thank you very much for your efforts! I have uploaded a mirror of your ZIP package to archive.org, along with your excellent setup instructions. The more copies and mirrors we have of good resources like this, the better!

https://archive.org/details/GravisUltrasoundDOSDriverPackage

good idea thx 😀